Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby GALLOW1217 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Donation/sponsor = Tim Campbell (Attorney)
Installation = Virgill Mead Concrete (Brian Moore, Godfrey, Alton)
It was the parks dept. idea to put the dye, powder in the concrete.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:52 pm

To enter this thread, it says Rock Spring Park is in the city of Ofallon which is incorrect. Rock Spring Park is located in Alton. Also the correct name for this park is Rock Spring Park, Alton, IL. Thanks.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks, I re-arranged a bunch of threads and tried to add/edit info...
I am still trying to make everything better, thanks for the catch and correct info.
DD
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:12 pm

THANKS
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby Jorge on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:51 pm

I heard that the park was closed due to the Christmas Lights. I read their website and the last day for it was Dec. 27th. Can someone please post here when the disc golf course is back open again? Only played this course once in the summer and can't wait to get back out there in January.

Thanks
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Jorge wrote:I heard that the park was closed due to the Christmas Lights. I read their website and the last day for it was Dec. 27th. Can someone please post here when the disc golf course is back open again? Only played this course once in the summer and can't wait to get back out there in January.

Thanks

????

i was there for a laker league gig last year, and the course wasn't closed, you just had no access to the big parking lot and you had to hop over the occasional wire or two (between 2's pin/3's teebox and 18's pin/back to the pavilion come to mind off hand).

and the stupid lighted arch jazz on the road forces an anhyzer shot towards 3's pin, but if i remember correctly, the telephone pole right next to the am pad is a 'go to the left' mando to keep you from throwing over the road anyway....
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:04 am

Jorge wrote:I heard that the park was closed due to the Christmas Lights. I read their website and the last day for it was Dec. 27th. Can someone please post here when the disc golf course is back open again? Only played this course once in the summer and can't wait to get back out there in January.

Thanks

If the park is TRULY closed for disc golf play, that would be news to me as well. Played there on the 19th (I think), & we just parked at the tennis courts & started on hole # 8 instead of walking all the way to hole #1 to start. All the Christmas decorations are a bit of a pain but, I guess that is a long running tradition in that park! I just wish the powers that be there WOULDN'T feel the need to close all the gates at entrances to the park. You SHOULD still be able to play the course, you just have to walk a bit more..... :roll: And, there never seems to be anybody there during the day that would chase you off anyway! :mrgreen:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am

We played here Sunday for the Collinsville league (dam it was cold) The park does not close the course, they lock the gates so people wont drive in there when the lights arent on and detur thieves from stealing. But the thieves got in there a couple of times this year and stole some wire. As stated above you just need to find somewhere to park. The light show is over and the gates will open as soon as all of the lights are removed, in past years it does take some time but they have gottn better. This course is open all year.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby Jorge on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 am

Myself, Gflap, Atriks, Golden Rec, and Douggie Fresh played 28 holes this past Saturday.

The course was in wonderful condition, but we had to park by holes 8/9 because for some reason the Christmas Lights are still up and the gates closed. It was a blast and can't wait until the leaves grow on the trees to play again. The 2 very tall metal evergreens (decorated cell phone towers) looked great.

One suggestion would be mandatory signs being placed on the trees where there is a mando. We fortunately printed out the hole info from discgolfcoursereview.com to know where the mandos were, but if we didn't have it, I was going to throw a hyzer over the road on hole 3.

It would be nice to play from the long tees sometime. Since there was snow on the ground, I didn't notice any markers for the longs, but are there any markers there? The course is hard enough for me, but I'd like to play the longs next time. Wonderful course, everyone should play it and be humbled by the experience.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm

The course is playing great right now. The Chain Gain Sunday league was nice (first sunday of every month) and yes we do need signs for the mando on 3 (no throws over road) and 10 (do not throw over road) and i would say 2 but we need to move the tee accross the brick path for that. Please be patient as i try to get signs made and this summer we may be working on the blue tees.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park