Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby discdoh on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Chris K., myself (Greg D'OH), and possibly a few others will be hitting the new pads tomorrow (Fri.) morning. We'll be leaving the Rock Hill/Brentwood area around 8 AM or so. That should get us there for a 9AM or so start. If you have the day free, come join us. It should be a great way to start off the weekend. And of course, us MO residents couldn't make the trip without hitting Fast Eddie's for lunch afterwards!

Hope to see you there!

Greg D'OH
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Alton Telegraph: Rock Spring Tee Pads, read on

Postby GALLOW1217 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 am

Print Story | E-Mail Story | Font Size
enlargeThe Telegraph/JOHN BADMANBill Suhling, an employee of Virgil Mead Concrete in Godfrey, breaks loose the forms around a concrete pad in Alton's Rock Spring Park this week. The company has poured 18 pads for use as tees on a new disc golf course nestled in the natural landscape of the park.
Other Articles in this CategoryParade pumps up food pantries
25 minutes ago
Homicide suspect turns himself in
Refuge works to resolve fish-kill problem
Congressman hears plenty on health care
Deer crashes prompt hunting rule changes Most Viewed Stories
Deer crashes prompt hunting rule changes
Homicide suspect turns himself in
Suzan Whipple
Blinded dog settles in with adoptive owner
Bethalto Homecoming is labor of love
Most Commented Stories
International relations: Teacher waiting to adopt baby from China hosts fund-raiser
Bethalto Homecoming is labor of love
Voices of change: Health care reform advocates share stories
Congressman hears plenty on health care
Deer crashes prompt hunting rule changes
Most Recommended Stories
FOOTBALL: Under the Radar
FOOTBALL: Respect Earned
FOOTBALL: Shells find positives in defeat to Pana
Refuge works to resolve fish-kill problem
Blinded dog settles in with adoptive owner
What is this?
Save & Share this Article
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where you can share this story and discover new Web pages.
Googledel.icio.usNewsvineSlashdotDiggStumbleUponFacebookRedditFitting to a 'tee': Disc golf course at Rock Spring upgraded
Comments 5 | Recommend 1
September 04, 2009 8:43 PM
By LINDA N. WELLER
The Telegraph
ALTON - Disc golfers were so eager to use new tee boxes going in at Rock Spring Park this week that they stepped up on the pads to "tee off" before the red-tinted concrete could dry.

Never mind, a crew from Virgil Mead Concrete of Godfrey repaired the pads Thursday morning to erase Wednesday's slight damage from the golfers' shoes. The workers also marked the rest of the 18 new, 5-foot-by-10-foot pads they subsequently installed to avoid getting any more footprints.

"We are trying to nestle them in a natural setting," said Brian Moore, owner of Virgil Mead. "Some of them (dirt tee areas) were unlevel. We wanted to make them as flat as we can to make a level surface for the players when they throw the (discs)."

The players' enthusiasm is heartwarming to Dr. Geoffrey Bemis of Godfrey, enhancing the donation of the concrete rectangles from local attorney Tim Campbell, in memory of Bemis' twin brother, Michael.

Michael Bemis, who died Jan. 12 at age 32, was an aficionado of the sport.

"It makes me feel great," said Geoffrey Bemis, 33. "Eventually, there will be a plaque there. Rock Spring is a beautiful park, and it hasn't been utilized in many years. I never played disc golf, and I made fun of it. He loved disc golf and played a lot of courses."

After his brother died, Bemis said he gave disc golf a try and, surprisingly, decided he liked it.

"Disc golf is a lot of fun; it's fun for all ages," he said.

The tee boxes are the culmination of the effort to get a course installed in Alton, of which Mike Bemis was a part, Campbell said.

Others involved in the effort were disc golfers Mark and Kelly Eberlin of Alton and the Collinsville-based Southern Illinois Chain Gang disc golf club team. Bemis said the players began an effort three or four years ago to raise money and find a suitable local site to accommodate a disc golf course.

Two of the Chain Gang team members, Jeff Ligon and Bo Toebe, designed and installed the Rock Spring course, along with input from Mike Bemis.

"It was Mike's dream; he was hoping Jeff (Ligon) would see it through," Campbell said. "Mike had a lot of energy and worked on it. Jeff is picking up the baton. We wanted to help, and our families are close."

He said Mike Bemis had driven his children to soccer practice and attended high school with them.

Moore said he tinted the tee boxes red at the request of Alton Park and Recreation Department officials.

"They thought it would be more attractive and look like brick, which would be more expensive," Moore said. "Brick also could be slippery."

Rhonda Lewis, deputy director of the Alton Park and Recreation Department, said the tee boxes would make it nicer for the players, who formerly had to tee off while standing on dirt. While neither Bemis nor Campbell would say what the boxes cost, Lewis estimated it probably would cost the city more than $5,000 to have the tee boxes installed.

The disc golf course winds throughout the park at 2116 College Ave. Play is free, with the golfers expected to bring their own discs designed for the sport. The discs are not the same as plastic toys that people toss about in parks, yards and on beaches. Players use specialized putters, all-purpose mid-range and driver discs.

People of varying fitness levels can enjoy the sport, players say.

As with golf, scoring is based on "strokes," or attempts to hit either a pole "hole" or tonal pole. In Rock Spring, there are 18 pole holes, instead of a hole in the ground as with "ball" golf. Players try to hit the chain link holder, with the disc dropping into a round metal "basket" beneath the chains.

Some locations have tonal poles, which are simple poles with no chains or basket. The goal is to hit the pole, which makes a clanging sound.

For more information about disc golf:

http://www.southernillinoischaingang.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

linda_weller@thetelegraph.com

See archived 'Local News' stories »

Reader Comments
From the editor: Many of you have expressed concerns about some of the harsh anonymous comments from readers. To remedy that, we are introducing new features. You can create your own blog, publish your news and share your photos with the community. Once you fill out a simple form and leave a verifiable e-mail address, you can set up your profile page. It will display all of your contributions and allow you to track issues and easily connect with others.
We want our site to be a place where people discuss and debate ideas that foster stronger communities. We built this for you. Please take care of it. Tolerate broad thinking, but take action against obscene or hateful material. Make it a credible and safe place worth preserving and sharing.

Oldest First | Newest First
Report item as: (required) X Obscenity/vulgarity Hate speech Personal attack Advertising/Spam Copyright/PlagiarismUser is under 13Cyber bullyingSexual / predatory behavior Other Comment: (optional)
bellygirl wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input. I am really glad to hear so many people are enjoying the course. Yes, it takes the community to keep up the course. Hopefully, the bathrooms will come soon. The problem is vandalism. Being a woman I am very concerned about the bathroom situation and have spoken to the Alton Park and Rec several times. Also, the Chain Gang in Collinsville have built a Marquee, thank you guys! Therefor we will soon have a map of the course, as I know it is hard to navigate your way around if you are a first time player. Thank you to all who have put in their time and effort. If you have any questions are concerns you may direct them to my husband, Mark Eberlin, as he is a Course Captain. His email address is mark.eberlin@yahoo.com. Please continue to spread the good word about this awesome course!
9/6/2009 1:04 PM EDT on thetelegraph.com
Recommend Report Abuse Permalink

japetus wrote:
I wasn't even going to write this, but now I say screw it...I think all of the disc golf community around here needs to come together and do our part. I say we need some type of cleanup of the course, especially around holes 13-17...down in the woods. I subscribe to the "broken windows" theory; if people see a well maintained area, they are less likely to throw trash on it. When there are tires and beercans, soda cans...people are more likely to disrespect it. The only other flaw is the lack of direction from hole to hole. For people who have never played, getting from hole 9 to 10 is a mystery at best!

Rock Spring has the opportunity to be one of the best disc golf courses around! It is a much more dynamic course than even Sioux Passage, which many consider to be one of the best in the area.
9/6/2009 12:00 AM EDT on thetelegraph.com
Recommend (1) Report Abuse Permalink

altonbooster wrote:
Glad to see Rock Springs park better utilized! Pride is having a bicycle event there on September 12th. That's cool! http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/clinic-30731-cyclocross-races.html
9/5/2009 9:11 AM EDT on thetelegraph.com
Recommend (2) Report Abuse Permalink

hopinion wrote:
Now if they would add a few restrooms, peeing in the woods is getting old.
9/4/2009 11:49 PM EDT on thetelegraph.com
Recommend (3) Report Abuse Permalink

japetus wrote:
This is great news! I love playing at Rock Spring, but the lack of tee pads made for some slippery drives sometimes.
9/4/2009 10:06 PM EDT on thetelegraph.com
Recommend (5) Report Abuse Permalink
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby kaht on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am

I went and played this past Friday, not even knowing the pads had been installed yet. I dropped 7 strokes from my previous best round there - the pads really do make that much of a difference (for me, at least). Many of the tees are situated along hillsides which made for really awkward drives with unsure footing. The level tee pads alleviate all of this.

This was a definite upgrade to the course.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Friendly (hopefully) URL:
http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/pads-30815-tee-mead.html
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 am

Got a round in on Tues., & I must say the concrete tee pads are VERY, VERY nice! You can tell professionals put these in. There is no doubt that sure footing off the tee now will insure better scoring at this course. Now if only I could get my approaches & putts to quit rolling away on me! :roll: :mrgreen:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:41 am

haven't been out to see the new pads myself, but glad to hear it has been done. hole 10 especially is a cluster when it rains.

hope i make it back out there soon, that course rocks!
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby ilmcgee on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:16 am

Played Rock Springs for the first time yesterday, great course. It's great to have a full size course with the nice pads here in Illinois. About a year ago I moved from Hazelwood where I felt surrounded by courses, to Brighton where I didn't think I would play much. After playing Rock Springs I am very excited. I found it to be a control/finesse course with some long shots mixed in. It reminds me of Endicott, but more hilly. Can't wait to play again now that I know where the baskets are.

Does anyone know who put the course in? and when?
ilmcgee
Bogey Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Nice tees..what was used to color them? Dye? Powder?

We want to do the same thing at the Arnold course....
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:48 pm

ilmcgee wrote:Played Rock Springs for the first time yesterday, great course. It's great to have a full size course with the nice pads here in Illinois. About a year ago I moved from Hazelwood where I felt surrounded by courses, to Brighton where I didn't think I would play much. After playing Rock Springs I am very excited. I found it to be a control/finesse course with some long shots mixed in. It reminds me of Endicott, but more hilly. Can't wait to play again now that I know where the baskets are.

Does anyone know who put the course in? and when?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3051
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 pm

STARFIRE wrote:Nice tees..what was used to color them? Dye? Powder?

We want to do the same thing at the Arnold course....

?
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park