LONG TEES

Alton, IL

LONG TEES

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:23 pm

A friend of mine & I decided after playing many rounds at this course the last few years or so that it was time we tried to play the back tees. And, for the most part, we enjoyed doing so, although they can be quite challenging at times. The problem was, that on a few of the holes we could not FIND the back tees, & several of the tee mats seemed to be missing, as well. Holes # 4 & # 5 come to mind, we had to guess where the tees are supposed to be, which kind of sucked! I'd like to play these tees again but, it would be nice if they were perhaps marked a little better so we knew where all the tees are actually at..........
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Re: LONG TEES

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:03 pm

I applaud you jeffthrow, because you obviously found more of them than I could. Those which I did find were actually way too lumpy and off level to feel safe to let loose on, so again, bravo.

I was also pretty disappointed in the trash situation when I was there last. Only one trashcan on the entire course and it was overflowing to the point that there was enough garbage on the ground around it to refill it about 7 times.

P.S. I hope you brought some Zanfel...
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 am

Yes, the trash in the park is a PROBLEM! Damn few trash cans as you mentioned, next time I play Rock Spring I'll have to remember & bring a big trash bag & pick stuff up as we play. The tees that had the rubber mats were somewhat surprisingly decent to throw from, traction was good. I wonder what ther're like when they get wet, though. Anyway, this is one of my favorite courses in the metro STL area, not sure why it doesn't get more play..... :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby hohman on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Jeff,

I assume the reason it doesn't get much play is the distance to get there plus its an IL course and we all know what that means. If you haven't found them the long tess for 4 & 5 are as follows: 4 is behind the tee over the road and to the right a bit; 5 is under the electrical pole. I haven't played this course in a while as I have been traveling for about a year now, but Alton is one of the toughest and prettiest courses around.
Jason Hohman
PDGA #27508
hohman
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Well Jason you confused me there with where you're saying # 4's tee is, um, what do you mean over the road?? On the side of the road where # 3 is?? That can't be right. We were guessing # 4's tee was back & to the right from the reg. tee, almost up by the parking lot, maybe.

Anyway, I guess it's maybe like it is with Sioux Passage, people are always saying the course is TOO far away for them to play, which I think is ridiculous!! Any decent course (and both Sioux & Rock Spring are BETTER than just decent), are certainly worth having to drive a little to play.....right?? :roll:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby JLIGON on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Jeff

I think jason is thinking of hole 5 and 6. Hole 4 is not across the street as you said that is hole 3. Hole 4 long tee had the ground marker stolen. It is back from the short tee on the same side of the road, but back and to the right. Hopefully the tees can be worked on this year so there is no guessing.

Jeff L
JLIGON
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Jeff L,

Thanks for chiming in on this.......& big time thanks to you & whoever else was involved in getting this course installed at Rock Spring in the first place, it's an awesome course!!

Jeff W
:mrgreen:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Return to Rock Springs Park