Postby irwinje on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 pm

All things relaated to Walton Park
Link: http://pdga.com/course-details?id=2185
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Re: Walton Park: Litchfield, Ill.

Postby kaht on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:36 pm

For anybody interested in going out to this park - I'd say don't bother unless you're already in town camping at Lake Lou Yeager.

1) It's regularly filled with people, and hitting one of the patrons is a constant issue because of the size of the course (it's very small)
2) There are 3 baskets missing (1, 6, and 9), making this a 6 hole course.
3) Many of the signs are missing, making it difficult to find the tees - especially since this park basically NEVER gets played, so you can't even look for eroded ground.
4) The locals don't even seem to be aware of what disc golf is. On 3 different occasions I've had a park patron pick up and start to walk off with my disc as I was approaching my lie. (the sad thing is that I've only played there 3 times)

The SIUE course puts this one to shame - and that is saying a lot... :(
kaht
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 pm

We stopped here on the way home from some tournament two or three years ago, and all I can say is that this course was possibly one of the WORST that I've ever seen, & since I've probably played close to 200 different courses all up & down the Midwest, that is unfortunately saying something!! It had not been in long when we saw it, & there was already damaged baskets there! I remember there being too many holes that brought water into play, & the last hole forced you to throw over a parking lot that at the time was full of cars for a softball or baseball game! It just didn't seem like a good park to put a course into. So I wouldn't recommend making the trip to play this course at all!!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:03 pm

I actually called the parks department there last year around this time asking if I could buy the 7 remaining baskets that were in the park, since it appears to get absolutely no use. Then, during a camping trip this past summer I went back and noticed yet another basket was missing - making the total count down to 6. The parks department in Litchfield told me that they weren't interested in selling the baskets, and that they were actually planning on replacing the missing ones to try to resurrect the course.

I'll believe it when I see it.
kaht
Par Poster

Return to Other Illinois Courses