Lockhaven Park: Elsah IL

Carlyle, Centralia, Coles Creek, and Others

Lockhaven Park: Elsah IL

Postby kaht on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

West of Alton, along the river road (rt. 100), resides Lockhaven country club and golf course. Recently a friend informed me that just across the road, on the south side of the highway, that the small plot of land touching the river was cleaned up, and a 9-hole disc golf course was installed.

I don't know if this "park" has a name, or if it's associated with the club across the highway or not. But, it's close to Lockhaven so that's what I decided to call it. Hopefully someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong (and an admin can fix the name of this thread to reflect the proper name if possible).

I was in the area this past saturday so I decided to see if I could find the course. I've provided a link to google maps, depicting the exact location:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.93678 ... 1&t=h&z=15

As mentioned, it is only 9 holes. The river was in play for the first 3 holes. Holes 1 & 3 have the river on the left side of the basket so you likely won't be in trouble if you're LHBH or RHFH. Hole 2 plays with the river behind the basket.

Most of the holes average around 280-350 feet. Hole 4 was slightly over 400, and hole 2 was right at 200. There are enough trees to keep relative shade, but not so many that you'd consider the course "woody". The course was very easy to navigate. There are posts at each tee, with a wooden sign depicting the layout of the hole. Each one of the baskets are numbered and are pretty easy to see from the tee.

The final thing to mention about the course: The baskets are all home-made. They have a center post made from PVC pipe. The basket and chain holding top contraption were made from a large plastic barrel. There is 1 row of chains, 12 in total, held together at the bottom by a plastic packaging band. They are pretty rough, but they work if you've got a gentle putt. If you like to smash the chains, don't count on the disc staying in the basket.

Grafton is a pretty popular attraction these days, and has a lot of great places to eat. If you're headed there, grab your discs and leave 30 mins early to get in a quick 9 on the way.
kaht
Par Poster

Re: Lockhaven Park: Elsah IL

Postby 5Milosboys on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 am

Hey. The place is called Piasa Harbor.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5660
Drive like you Stole it, Approach with Caution, Put(t) it where it belongs...
5Milosboys
Bogey Poster

Return to Other Illinois Courses