disc golf downtown?!?!

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

disc golf downtown?!?!

Postby fairweather_fan on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 am

from an article about the gateway mall development projects on the front page of the community section in sunday's post-dispatch:

"They plan to build by late summer a...Frisbee golf area across Market Street from the downtown post office."

does anyone here know anything about this? will it be a course, or practice/putting basket(s), or what?
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

disc golf downtown?!?!

Postby emptv on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:02 am

Disc up,
:shock: News to me, but a course is needed in the actual city as well as all around the city.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

Re: disc golf downtown?!?!

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am

couldn't agree more about a course in the city...just didn't expect the gateway mall as the location! if it is a course, i've gotta presume a pitch and putt style 9-holer that folks could run through on their lunch break. i just hope it's a playable and "fun enough" course that it doesn't turn more people off than on to disc golf.
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby Working Stiff on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm

I'd have to assume it would be at most a basket or two to putt at. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind setting up a course with all the pedestrians and traffic around Gateway Mall. Even if there was enough room for a 9 hole pitch and putt (which I don't think there is even if they gave us the WHOLE Mall) some chucklehead would throw a Destroyer on a 150 ft hole and clunk a pedestrian with a spike hyzer within the first 1/2 hour it was open. I'm sure they have more of a "toss lids at a Mach III" idea in mind rather than people playing actual disc golf.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:10 pm

i hear ya about the chuckleheads, working stiff- but who ever said that the folks involved with the city of saint louis' governance (or disc golfers, for that matter) are "in their right mind"?!?!?
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby jaylewisstl on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Doesn't sound like such a great idea given the space they have to work with. I'd much rather see something go in at the more spacious Forest Park, which has more than enough room and would get tons of play, although from everything I've heard, it's a non-starter with the city.
jaylewisstl
Bogey Poster

Return to General DG Talk