Forest Park Disc Golf Course-How do we do it?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Forest Park Disc Golf Course-How do we do it?

Postby raymandisc on Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 pm

I work close to forest park and sometimes walk around the park at lunch. I can't help to think, why not a disc golf course here. KC has Swope Park, St. Louis has Forest Park. I know this is huge undertaking. I've been told this is virtually an impossible task. The word is the politics is such with the alderman, friends of forest park and the rest still does not deter me from making this happen.

Does anyone else REALLY want a disc golf course in Forest Park?

Has Davey Mac or any other player's tried this?
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Re: Forest Park Disc Golf Course-How do we do it?

Postby Chris K on Wed May 27, 2009 11:20 pm

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/par ... arkMap.pdf

If you take a look at Kennedy Forest, there is potential for a Disc Golf course
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby clane on Thu May 28, 2009 6:31 am

It seems to me that Forest Park is somewhat over-utilized. I would love to see a course there, but I think that it may be difficult to find space to put much there. I could certainly be wrong, and would even like to be wrong, because I also work just down the street from it.
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby emoney on Thu May 28, 2009 5:18 pm

I would also like to see a disc golf coarse in forest park. it's a huge park and everything else is there. the best spot i would think is by the Kingshighway stretch of park just west of all the lakes. that is least populated. most other places are getting too close to museums, monuments, or picnicing by the zoo.

Also where Hampton rd goes into the park, off to the right, would be nice and there is some good elevation shots. I would like to try and see if we could make it happen.

If we maybe show the alderman all the fundraiser's that are held(even the big one of Breast Cancer coming up) and huge outcomes of out of towners of our big tourneys. There were people from i think jeff said 21 states at the St. Louis Open.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby clane on Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 pm

I have to wonder if Carondalet would be a better park for this? There are some very cool elevation shots to be had, although none quite as cool as teeing off from the top of Art Hill would be. It is a fairly well used park, but much less traffic to deal with.

Tower Grove could also be cool, and since it is a private park it might require less governmental BS to get something going there.

All three would be awesome IMHO.
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby emoney on Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Carondolet would be ok. Lot's of MILF's over that way jogging cuz i've moved plenty of them into their homes. It's getting popular with early 30 yr olds. haha different subject. I don't agree to Tower Grove tho due to the pole smoker's and close to gang violence. Trust me i grew up in the area all my life. It's rougher than you think. I just don't think it would be a good area for it.
Just my input Clane.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby emptv on Fri May 29, 2009 8:05 am

Disc up,
The TRAVELING LAKER LEAGUE has set up & played a temp. 18 hole course on the eastern side of Forest Park. :D We used a area by the Stienberg ice skating rink north until just on the other side of Round Lake, across Grand Drive, and from Kingshighway west until Jefferson/Faulkner Dr.
I have a Google Earth of a slightly differant version that we were thinking of having later, maybe in the fall, after the sand volleyball yet before the ice skating season (same area is used). I could email anyone who is interested a copy of this if wanted, if I can find it. Just send me a PM with the email address that you want it sent to. This would be a BYOB event, Bring Your Own Basket, so that no one would have to worry about carring more than there own basket. Also this would have to be done on the downlow because they want $300 to rent space, yet $0 to just throw a disc in the park. So like last time, we just would go out, set up, and play. This is a lot of work for 1 days play though because it requires going out in advance to check it out, and going out early and setting out the tee pad markers. :? Also this course is a work in progress, meaning we always tweak the placements according to how the park is being used at that time.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $167/$117
Sweeps= $10/$17
Fun= $443
emptv
Ace Poster