bean928 wrote:What decides where and what tourney you play? This doesnt included bc I got off or had free time. What attracts you to them? Payouts? Competition? Course? Players pack? Ctps? Ace pool? Etc. If its more than one whats more important?.......
What have been some of your favorite tourneys and why?
This is an interesting question.
I haven't played any tournaments since last October, but I guess these are the things I consider when looking at tournaments
* Course means a lot. We all have our favorites.
* Cost is more important than payout.
* Seeing higher costs justified because of free beer is a negative.
* Having lunch available as an option is a plus.
* Requiring lunch as part of the entry fee is a negative. (I do however understand that fancy lunches require an accurate headcount, so there are times it needs to be built into the entry fee)
* Charity tournaments for food pantries is a plus
* Charity tournaments requiring extra cash is a negative. (Sorry, I already have charities that I donate to.)
* CTPs are not a factor. To cater to rec and intermediate, I would suggest a mix of raffles to go with the CTPs.
* Player's packs mean a lot. This is how I get exposed to equipment I wouldn't normally consider trying.
* Club membership drive tournaments are a plus. I want to support the different clubs and being able to play and support the different clubs at same time is a bonus.
* Knowing that club inventories will be displayed is a plus. I prefer to buy discs from clubs instead of at retail.
Full disclosure. I classify myself as intermediate and I am in the camp that pays in more than I take out. If I started turning a profit on tournaments, my criteria might change