Rules Discussion #2

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Rules Discussion #2

Postby Richard~Cheese on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Situation:
You are at a out of town tourny. Playing on a card with three locals, all close buddies. One of which is breaking away from the rest of the card. With you closing in on him.You both end up landind in the same general areas, and the others are in deep shul or other side of the fairway. You notice the one player making several minor rules violations. Giving him a slight advantage. The other two players will "not" give a second on a violation. For various reasons(was looking for disc,couldn't see from here, all the classics) He's thier buddy afterall. Even if its just a warning the first time. But now you have become the"rules nazi" or even "the dick" on the card. Just for calling a clear violation on someone. Along with the other players making B.S. calls on you(with no meaning, jokingly of course) for the next couple of holes. All of which may be considered a intentional distraction and possible violation itself.?Or is it a violation to get into someones head? Do you cry to the TD afterwards? And be "the sore loser" or pack up and head out knowing that the self governing of the rules on a card with all local buddies and one outta towner is all just a sham? :?: :twisted: :evil:
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Re: Rules Discussion #2

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:16 am

My question/answer is, "Do you care what these guys think of you?" or "Do you care about the rules and playing a fair tournament?"

You are right to call a violation, especially if it actually gives a person an advantage (I wouldn't be too concerned if the player really sucks, has no chance of winning a single thing and is just there for fun). The other guys are wrong to act like 12 year olds and throwing it back in your face.

The biggest problem is, what will the TD actually do about it. It just becomes your word against theirs and forces the TD to make a very difficult decision - one which will probably be to just say, "Sorry" and let it go with a warning.

You are not crying unless there are tears, you are standing up for the rules.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 pm

I could care less what a plastic chucking wantabe hippy thinks of anyone or anything. There puppet.. And of course I like to see fair play for the whole field of players no matter the skill level. I think the question was is it a violation to knowingly throw another player off his game mentally?
Quote"All of which may be considered a intentional distraction and possible violation itself.?Or is it a violation to get into someones head?"
Even tho most of us would just say it's unsportsmanlike. The game is losely based on "the gentlemens game" of ball golf afterall. ;)
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am

On your first point, "Good for you!" You shouldn't care.

About the "in your head" ruling... I'd say that, if it becomes unfriendly or harrassing, it is indeed unsportsmanlike. I am pretty sure that there is a PDGA ruling against unsportsmanlike conduct. Time for another message to the PDGA...
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to General DG Talk