Playing through the pain

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Playing through the pain

Postby jalbanese on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:52 pm

I have been playing disc golf with an injured shoulder, neck and back. I also injured my ankle while playing but that has not bothered me as much as the other injuries. Some days I can play with only slight discomfort and some days I can play with moderate to severe pain. I took a few months off from playing disc golf after I was injured and slowly got back into playing at least 2 to 3 times a week. I mainly play for recreation and exercise. I know I should probably take another few months off to heal my injuries but I do not want to fall out of shape or loose my "touch" with the discs. I really enjoy playing disc golf although I do get "frustrated" with my game at times. I do still have fun though so I'll kepp on playing through the pain.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Re: Playing through the pain

Postby RC24 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 am

Hit the gym to strengthen those muscles, tendons and joints. You may need some rehab for those injuries. Talk to a trainer and get some expert advice. Doing the work in the gym pays dividends in the long run! In the mean time work on the short game just to keep from getting rusty. I know how you feel sometimes a long stretch of bad weather is the only way for me to stop playing for a while.
RC24
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm

In the event you're looking for someone to say it, "Unless this pain and injury is something permanent, let yourself heal first." It's not worth risking aggravating the existing injuries or new injuries."
Hey, I know a guy who didn't play for 6 months because of an injury. When he finally came back, we were all surprised, him the most, to see that he was playing even better than before. He had even managed to unlearn some of his bad muscle memory habits, so his control on drives was significantly better than it had been months previous.

If this pain and injury is something permanent... and a doctor has said it's OK to play if you can stand the pain... go for it.

Either way, I hope it gets better for you.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm

I took 6 months off from playing disc golf. The injuries I am suffering with were not caused by playing disc golf except for the "janky" ankle.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:02 am

RC24 wrote:Hit the gym to strengthen those muscles, tendons and joints. You may need some rehab for those injuries. Talk to a trainer and get some expert advice. Doing the work in the gym pays dividends in the long run! In the mean time work on the short game just to keep from getting rusty. I know how you feel sometimes a long stretch of bad weather is the only way for me to stop playing for a while.

That's an excellent point. Two years ago I suffered a knee injury from playing disc golf. I ended up having to go through a couple months of physical therapy and I haven't had any problems since. Building all muslces, not just the ones you use for disc golf, will definitelly benefit you in the long run. I was also given a muscle stimulator from an ACL surgery several years ago. If you know anyone that has one of these, I would highly suggest using it. That thing really works well at building back muscles after taking a long time off. Oh yeah, and taking some Advil (or something along those lines) before you play will probably help out with inflammation and the pain that is associated with inflammation.

Hopefully this helps!

Johnny
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Return to General DG Talk