The Cave!!!!!!

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Re: The Cave!!!!!!

Postby Mike_R on Mon May 28, 2012 7:19 pm

The 2nd 18 is great. Better than the first, imo.

It's got water on several holes, plus some full length driving holes, and an interesting double window to drive through at one point.

I tried to talk Mark into doing the nooner on the hard 18 a couple weeks back, but I don't think he had a chance to dial in his shots on the new course yet. ;)

One word of caution, if your disc goes in the deep water, don't go after it. Wait till the party barge goes out to retrieve it. The water is like 55 degrees. My heart would seize up for sure if I took a dip in there.
Mike_R
Par Poster

The Cave!!!!!!

Postby emptv on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:19 am

Disc Up,
Sunday June 10, 2012 the around 1 pm we will be convening at the entrance to The Cave to introduce the underground disc golfers to LAKERS style disc golf. Come on out and experience the awe and thrill of "the LAKERS going underground."
We will be playing Jokerst DGC before hand just to warm up if y'all want to come early.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Has anyone been to CCU recently?

I'm mostly curious if they ever made improvements to the 36 hole layout or have improved signage/navigation.
The last time I was there, right after the 36 went in, the new layout was lame (in my opinion). It seemed like it was about 60% made up of 150' forehand flicks around a column and a bunch of water shots that were just too risky (for anyone that would like to retain ownership of their discs and LED lights).

I seriously loved the original 9 holes and the first 18 hole course down there, but found very little to like about the 2 new courses. If this has changed, I'd like to give it another go.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Bison on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 pm

It's the same
Bison
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 am

Man, I had honestly hoped for a different answer.

I had ended up going anyway to show a friend that had never been. It was actually worse than before. All the signage has pretty much been destroyed or disappeared, a few holes were even shorter than before (counted 5 holes on the "north course" that were under 100'") and there was trash lying around everywhere. The owner has also decided to barricade off the volleyball area by holes 7 and 8, making it impossible to get from hole 8 to 9 without blindly walking directly back into the path of people throwing from tee 7. No thanks.

Aside from the layout just being lame and incredibly confusing, there was an even bigger safety concern as non-player cave visitors were wandering around all over the course. About seven times I had to warn folks that they were wandering around on a disc golf course and explain that the discs are heavier and faster than frisbees... so you should really stay close to the entrance or follow the road to the barge. One of the times, I missed a 12 year old girls face by two feet when she popped around a corner to see what the basket was.

I again told the owner, Tom Kerr, what I thought (in a very polite and rational manner). He seemed content to shrug it off and express his complacency with "things the way there are". Guess there is no reason for me to go here ever again. Sad as hell, considering I went there every Friday night for 3 months when it opened.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby MADDISC on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Hello Everyone.
Last night I talked to Dan Kilgore who lives in Ohio.
He will be visiting our fair city on September 30th 2012.
He is the guy who wants the Cave to be his 1000th course.
He grew up down by me in south county and is really looking forward to coming back home to play his 1000th course.
He will be at the cave on Sunday the 30th at 1pm.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to come down and cheer him on.
As far as I know this is a feat that has only been accomplished a couple of times.
I hope we show him alot of love that sunday afternoon!!!!!!!
I cannot make it as that is my anniversary weekend and I will be watching Michael Stanley perform at the amphitheatre at Jefferson Barracks park along with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and johnny Edgar for the KSHE Classics Show.

Thanks
Mark Dudenhoeffer
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:22 pm

ARGH! I had so wanted to be there for that. Alas, it is my anniversary that day as well and I'm out of town.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Martin Dewgarita on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 am

I'll be there playing my 1000th course as well. Open invitation, come on down - anybody coming to celebrate?
Martin Dewgarita

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am

Give a date and I'll try to organize the troops!

Thanks for posting! I was disappointed to mis Danhyzer's visit.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

The Cave!!!!!!

Postby emptv on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:17 am

Disc up,
The date for the 2 men coming down to make the cave their 1000th course is Sunday September 30th. That is tommorrow and the LAKERS will be there. It sounds like they will be there around 1pm, but we will be @ Jokerst around 10 am for a warmup.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster