Courses to play?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Courses to play?

Postby MedicineMan on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 am

All,

One weekend this spring/summer, I plan on playing some courses out there. Are there any suggestions/preferences? Local KC guy here, and kinda know my way around STL, but am looking for disc golf courses to play over a weekend.

Thank you for your input.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You!
MedicineMan
Bogey Poster

Re: Courses to play?

Postby discdoh on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:50 pm

I can help you out with a few suggestions. Of course, these are all personal preference...

If you like a course that is well established, challenging, and ALWAYS has groups of locals you can join up with - Jefferson Barracks DGC

If you like a course that has a bunch of elevation change, length, and nice scenery - Sioux Passage DGC

If you like a course that is technical, tight, and may cause you to lose a few hairs - Endicott DGC

If you like a course that hits a nice middle road in terms of challenge, has nice elevation, and ALWAYS has a bunch of locals present - Quail Ridge DGC

If you like a course that is LONG, most likely windy, and flat (thus making it a challenge) - Creve Couer DGC

If you like a course that has a nice mix of all of the elements (elevation, length, etc.) and is right next to the best place in town for a beer and a bite to eat (Fast Eddie's) - Rock Springs DGC, Alton, IL

I would call all of the above suggestions the MAJOR courses around the area. These courses are the ones that get used in our bigger tournaments, and therefore are the most complete courses. There are a bunch more courses mixed in between that you could hit on the way from one to another. If you planned it out properly, I would think you could potentially get 8-12 rounds in over the period of a weekend without having to press too hard!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Courses to play?

Postby emptv on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Disc Up,
You left out West City DGC in Jefferson county and Woodland Chains DGC in Collinville, as well as the new gem in Highland, IL ouch. :oops:
West City DGC will test your strength and stamina, you will get rewarded nicely if you can throw accuratly and long, but punished if you are not careful. :twisted:
Woodland Chains DGC is a great course with elevation changes and distances, as well as getting to handle the lake on a few holes. Added bonus...I hear that the baskets could be in new alternate placements. :D
Highland, IL, wow if you haven't played this one yet it is a beautiful course and only about 15 minutes east of Woodland Chains DGC in Collinville. :shock:
There are more still but all that have been listed are good times galore. :D

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:14 am

all of woodland's pins are indeed in different places (and according to jeff when i ran into him before the headache bowl, will stay there for a good while), and except for maybe holes 3,4,11,12, your ideal shot changes by a fairly good margin in these alt. pins.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:10 am

I think discdoh has done a superb job of listing our best choices here in STL (nice work, Greg). The other courses mentioned here are nice as well but, in the case of West City, that is actually in Festus, Mo. a little south of St. Louis. And Highland, Ill. is a ways out on I-70, worth it if you have the time.

I would say Sioux Passage, Endicott, Jefferson Barracks, & Rock Spring Park in Alton, Ill. are our best four courses---make sure you hit those!! :idea:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:11 am

Oops...

West City is probably the most challenging setup in the immediate area. It is B.A. If you have a weekend, get that in the mix.

but of course, I like pain...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14 pm

If you are out west, by Wentzville, Quail Ridge is a very nice course as Greg has stated. About 20-25 minutes north is the EL Shadaii private course, it is another gem that is away and out in the country serene and quiet. If you want to go there give me a call, and I can put you in contact with someone who would show you the course, if I can't. The really cool part about that course is the baskets are Titans that have been powder coated brilliant red.
If you like a certain basket, JB and Sioux have Machs, Creve and Rock Springs have Innova Chastity belts, Endi, Highland & El Shaddai have Titans, Quail and Woodland have Gateway Sharkbites.

Mark Kane
573-795-1187
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby MedicineMan on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you all for the awesome suggestions. I'm going to be planning a trip over there once the weather stays nice. Maybe we'll meet on the course.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

MedicineMan
Bogey Poster

Courses to play?

Postby emptv on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 am

Disc up MedicineMan,
If you want some company on your rounds, call the LAKERS,as we travel to play. Our home course is the one we are playing on at the time. :D

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby MedicineMan on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, my family and i have JUST (as in today) relocated to STL from KC, and am looking for some peeps to throw with. Currently living in Florissant area, and am looking for courses close to it, and Town and Country area (work area).

Thank you all
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

MedicineMan
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk