noob questions..

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

noob questions..

Postby REDARMY on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:45 am

what is a ring of fire
and what is a tag (bag?) challenge?
is it kircher or kirchner park?
is there a place here for people to exchange numbers to expedite the process of setting up spur-of-the-moment games? (a members only forum perhaps?)
am i the only shmuck in the stldgc-ish group without a proper bag?
is there a cheaper place than johnny mac's in the stl area to buy discs (or a fancy bag)?
what kind of putter do you get with the stldgc membership?
does miller have great taste or is it less filling?
Last edited by REDARMY on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Re: noob questions..

Postby kaht on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am

>>what is a ring of fire

It's a competition used at tourneys as a sort of side-game to win a basket or some other prize. Everybody that enters the competition will stand in a ring around a basket at the same distance. The organizer will say "go" or "fire" or whatever, and then everybody will attempt to throw their putter into the basket. Everybody that makes their putt moves on to the next round. As the rounds progress you move farther and farther back from the basket until only 1 person makes their putt: they are the winner.

Here's a video of a ring of fire event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIbG3IWk3zU

>>and what is a tag (bag?) challenge?

When you sign up for the RCF you will get a mini-marker disc with a number on it. The numbers increment by 1 as each person joins the RCF. When you play with another RCF member, you can play the round as a tag challenge. The winner of the challenge gets to keep the mini-marker disc with the lower number. At the end of the RCF year (in October usually, I think) you get to keep your final bag-tag, and new ones will be issued to the members that pay their dues for the next year.

>>is it kircher or kirchner park?

No clue, never played there.

>>is there a place here for people to exchange numbers to expedite the process of setting up spur-of-the-moment games? (a members only forum perhaps?)

Don't think so

>>am i the only shmuck in the stldgc-ish group without a prober bag?

yes

>>is there a cheaper place than johnny mac's in the stl area to buy discs (or a fancy bag)?

The gateway store next to JB would probably cut you a deal, if you're interested in buying gateway discs. The club also has discs for sale, at a discount to RCF members.

If you're really particular about disc weight and color and model, I'll suggest http://www.discgolfcenter.com. They have free shipping, and I usually get my orders from them w/in 4 or 5 days. Their prices are also pretty competitive, as in cheaper than johnny mac's. To top it off, each $100 dollars you spend on your account will get you an additional %1 off of future orders. That discount is permanent, and the $100 doesn't have to be spent all at once. Say you make 4 orders for $25 each. From that point forward, every other order you make from that website will have a 1% discount. After you've reached $200 on your account, it's a 2% discount. This can continue until your account has a 10% discount on every order. Considering the shipping is free and you have full control over color and weight of what you buy, it's pretty hard to beat.

>>what kind of putter do you get with the stldgc membership?

Gateway Voodoo
(I'd post a link to the disc on gateway's website, but it's not listed yet... what's the deal with their website anyway? It's never updated)

>>does miller have great taste or is it less filling?

No clue, I don't drink.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby rondisc on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Kaht,
One incorrect statement. Since the new pres took over he made some changes but totally forgot to tell the population.

TO THE STLDGC MEMBERS,
THE LAST TIME I WANTED DISC FROM THE CLUB JEFF IRWIN SAID HE CHANGED THE DISCOUNT TO CLUB MEMBER WHEN HE BECAME PRESIDENT. I THINK THIS IS COMPLETE BS BUT WHATEVER. THERE IS NO DISCOUNT AS FAR AS I KNOW.

Ron
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 pm

Hey Ron,

I may be wrong here and I'm sure Jeff will post soon enough with the proper answer, but this is what I thought happened. Yes the discs used to have 2 prices on them, one for non-club members and a discounted price for club members. Now the discs only have one price on them which is the DISCOUNTED price. So everyone gets the discounted price whether they are members or not. I could agree with the argument that it should go back to being different prices, but I also know that can cause some headaches. At the final night of the QR league I give out vouchers for discs. Some of the recipients are non-club members. When you have 30 people trying to turn in vouchers at the same time plus an additional 10 people just looking to buy discs it is virtually impossible to determine who is a club member and who isn't. The bottom line though is that you are still getting the discs at a dicsounted price along with everyone else. In my example above there really are only a few people who are non-club members. Other then that the only time the discs are available is at club events where most participants are members. Is it worth putting 2 prices on every disc and asking everyone if they are a member or not? I don't know and I'm not the one lugging the plastic to all of the events or printing out 100's of different stickers, so it's not my decision to make.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Ring of Fire: Essentially what kaht said, though we stay at the same distance throughout the rounds.
Bag Tag: Kaht answered
Kirchner: There isn't a lof of info on it since it was just installed recently
# Exchange: Feel free to start a thread in any part of the forum to get a round up. Say, I'm going to Rock Springs on 12.28.08 at 10 am, who is in? You can leave your number or just count on people to show up.
Schmuck: You are not the only schmuck, last year we had 331 members, This year so far, we are already up to 212. So some people haven't renewed yet. We sell tags up until the Club Championships which are every October. This tournament gets you your new tag every year.
Johnny Mac's: Is the best place in St. Louis to buy discs, when you are not buying them directly from the StLDGC. We keep a couple hundred discs on hand from each of our (disc) sponsors at all times. There is an ongoing "club inventory" thread in the Equipment forum with everything we have listed. I do all the ordering so if you want anythign specific let me know and I'll order it. Even weight and color.
Putter: You actually get any Gateway putter you want (includes: Magic, VooDoo, Warlock & Wizard) The VooDoos are the newest by Gateway so we are trying to get them in people's hands, but you can choose any mold you want.
Miller: Definatly less filling!
Ron: Quit being a BITCH! We've been over this!
*Ron has his panties in a bunch because he took 5 CFR Boss' from the inventory (to sell) and tried to give me less than they were worth because he "volunteered" his time to help at the Club Championships. When I asked him for the difference... we saw what he posted.
-You'll never pay more than $15 for a disc from club inventory unless it is a special release, like the CFR Boss. So, when the club runs out of Bosses (only 7 left) Ron Robertson has 5 for sale. To the highest bidder of course. Though, if you are a club member he may give you a discount on them.
By the way Ron, I'll need that $10 next time I see you.
Last edited by irwinje on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT: To the population
Club Inventory is now less expensive than it was before.
Star Plastic: $15
Champion Plastic: $12
Pro Plastic $10
DX Plastic: $8
Prices cross over to similar plastic styles for Discraft, DGA & Gateway.
Putters from Gateway
M & S: $8
SS & SSS: $10
Glow: $12
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 pm

Majic,

Tournaments and league are one thing. It is just 1 less amentity(sp) that the club gives, that is all. The thing is I am not the only person that has said something about that. It really does not matter now does it.
What is done is done.

L8r,
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm

COURSE INFO:
IT IS KIRCHER PARK, no N.

Further additional info:
It is EL SHADDAI, rhymes with PIE, and NOT shaddia, rhymes with Iowa! :evil:

Amenity!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 am

Jeff,

"Ron: Quit being a BITCH! We've been over this!
*Ron has his panties in a bunch because he took 5 CFR Boss' from the inventory (to sell) and tried to give me less than they were worth because he "volunteered" his time to help at the Club Championships. When I asked him for the difference... we saw what he posted.
-You'll never pay more than $15 for a disc from club inventory unless it is a special release, like the CFR Boss. So, when the club runs out of Bosses (only 7 left) Ron Robertson has 5 for sale. To the highest bidder of course. Though, if you are a club member he may give you a discount on them.
By the way Ron, I'll need that $10 next time I see you.

I never posted on this but I will now. I gave you your F*ckin money Saturday.

So bite me!
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 am

rondisc wrote:I gave you your F*ckin money Saturday. So bite me!

Ron, I made that post on Dec 5th. And have not thought about it since then. You noticed I did not know why you were handing me an additional $10 on Saturday. Though I do appreciate you paying the difference and everything else you've done to help the club.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Return to General DG Talk