Gateway Ninja

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Gateway Ninja

Postby Working Stiff on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 pm

A couple of quotes from GDS about a planned new driver, the Ninja:
gdstour wrote:We just started work on a new mold for a long range driver called the Ninja,,,,something similar to a boss with surface technology on the wing and first 1" of the top like an Assassin. ( hoping its a bit more understable than the boss's I threw of Nikkos Today,, which actually flew more like a spirit!).

gdstour wrote:We plan to create a slightly under stable disc at a wide range of launch velocities, starting at 300 feet. ( just about any long winged driver will still be over stable for throws less than 300 or >45-50mph launch velocity)

The surface technology of the Ninja will help increase the resistance to turn and also decreases the low speed fade ( Assassin and Apache),,,,, so it shouldn't get that much more under stable at 400'. the Surface technology greatly reduces the drag on the disc ( think of the majority of an airlplane's wing surface which is slightly porous surface and not smooth polished metal, except for the moving parts when they want to change the drag and lift.
By reducing the drag on the under camber ( wing) and leading edge ( top 1") of a disc with a NON smooth surface, you are able to maintain launch velocity and rotation longer which equals more distance.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Re: Gateway Ninja

Postby tyler23 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 am

I like Gateway but he might want to rethink the name kind of copy catting off of the Katana which is already out. By the description Dave gave it is gonna be the exact same disc.
Tag #2
tyler23
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 am

Well, Dave isn't exactly know for his originality. He seems to follow the thinking that - anything you want to do has already been done by someone else so why waste money on research when you can just copy?
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm

irwinje wrote:Well, Dave isn't exactly know for his originality. He seems to follow the thinking that - anything you want to do has already been done by someone else so why waste money on research when you can just copy?

But nobody says much when Discrap copys the Wizard...Which is by far the best putter out there!
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby Golfer X on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 pm

How do you get a brand new Gateway disc to hyzer flip into a roller?

Take the G out of Gate and the F out of Way.

http://www.bannination.com:8080/
Golfer X
Par Poster

Postby BigBadBob on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:47 am

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but even Katana is a "rip off" of Sabre. Perhaps Sabre is a rip off of some earlier disc named after some other sword. Does it matter? With names like Sabre, Warrior, Demon, Wizard, Warlock, Magic, Assassin, Diablo, etc....I think the Ninja name fits the GDS product line quite well. Honestly folks, nit picking names? Really?
-BigBadBob
BigBadBob
Bogey Poster

Postby tyler23 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:24 pm

As a consumer, I think it is my job to nit pick new products. I wasn't so much nit picking the name as I was the release date with te Katana so close it just looks odd. They are supposed to almost be identical flight patterns. It is gooing to be hard to get past the Katana hype since Innova is such a dominate force int he disc golf market. I agree that the sabre and katana are kind of the same thing but they were released many years apart not a couple months but I look forard to trying it when it comes out.
Tag #2
tyler23
Par Poster

Postby discdork on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:54 pm

has dave really pissed so many people off that theres people who believe he's reverse engineering (illegal) his discs? theres only so many ways that you can design a circular disc eventually you run out of ways to do this with out it being just a little different from the next

this being said we as missourians should be proud of his efforts with the surface technologys which only adds more possibiltys of discs for the future before we run out of new discs or even worse the pdga changes there standards just so that the companys can make new discs

now that it sounds that i jock dave macs nuts, let me tell you out of 20 some odd discs in my bag dave only made 4 of them the rest are innova, and 1 discraft disc , and yes i will probally end up buying both the katana and the ninja and if either or both work good enough for me i will make room for them in my bag

and why do people seem to love to hate on locally produced products so much, in economic times like this it is vital to the local community to support local companys that hire local people who pay local taxes, but i forgot innova and discraft are sending back taxes from cali and michigan for schools, roads, parks..........my own humble opinion 8-)
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby chainsmoker on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:50 pm

I remember reading quite a while back that gateway was working on a new disc and that it was going to be called katana. Not sure how long ago or where I read it. It was either his blog on his website or the gateway pdga forum. This was before I heard about the Innova katana. Maybe he didn't know about Innova's disc when he wanted to call it katana and decided to try to keep it similar. or maybe that disc never even made it to production or they decided to bring back the apache name?
chainsmoker
Bogey Poster

Postby tyler23 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:12 am

I was just saying what I believe. I carry a good amount of Gateway in my bag. Blaze, Apache, Speed demon, Illusion are some of them. The Wizard I have is my favorite disc that I have ever owned and would be devestated if I lost it. I will always try to give Dave the benefit of the doubt. I enjoy talking to him and throwing his discs.
Tag #2
tyler23
Par Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat