Innova Katana

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Innova Katana

Postby Working Stiff on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Not much traffic on here lately. There are some new super-duper fast discs on the way, the first being the Innova Katana. There have been a couple of limited runs of this disc out for over a month that were sold as Japan Open fundraisers, so I know somebody out there has one. They also have recently shipped some as World's fundraisers. It's supposed to be released in regular production in Pro in early January and in Star after the World's fundraisers sell out.

This was what Dave Dunipace said on the PDGA board about them:
davei wrote:So far, the Pro Katanas look pretty good for distance challenged throwers, hyzer flip at less than max power, and power rollers. Power rollers can throw flat to slightly turned over and let the disc do the work. Power throwers should probably pass on this disc except for specific uses such as high turnovers and rollers.

The Katana in all three plastics tested so far is more speed sensitive than all of our other high speed drivers. This basically means it will flip considerably more into the wind than down wind. The R-Pro Katana is flippier than the R-Pro Boss and flippier than the Pro Katana, so it probably won't go into general production. The relative wind speed sensitivity makes assigning a turn number a little challenging, but for 400+ft throwers the turn for Pro will be at least a -3. For 350 ft max throwers, the turn will be less, (except into a wind). And, I don't recommend throwing these into a wind. Tentative flight numbers are: 13, 5, -3, 3.

Testing of normal Champion was unimpressive, compared to Pro, but the addition of the stabilizing process might change that. Though we haven't tested it in Starlight as yet, I believe that will prove successful.
From the sounds of it, it might actually be the disc the Groove was supposed to be.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Re: Innova Katana

Postby Working Stiff on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Link for the World's fundraiser:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/starkatana.html
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat