Hūsker Dū

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Re: Hūsker Dū

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:Okay, now your REALLY scaring me........"Them Crooked Vultures" has been the ONLY thing I've been listening to in the car for some time now. For some reason, I was a little disappointed with it at first but, now it's like the only thing I've wanted to listen to, it is freaking excellent...... what a supergroup! 8-)
When I picked it up it was around Christmas. I listened to it once and it kinda got lost in the holiday shuffle. I forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I heard the Foo Fighters version of "Baker Street" somewhere, it reminded me that I needed to give Them Crooked Vultures another listen.

I don't know about you, but Them Crooked Vultures makes me want to listen to some Zeppelin. I can really hear the influence there.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby clane on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 am

I have believed that the bulk of what most people think of as being defining characteristics of Led Zeppelin came from John Paul Jones for quite a while. Listen to some of the stuff he has done since. If you are brave pick up a copy of the Sporting Life by Diamanda Galas, or if you want something more easily listened to pick up a copy of his solo albums, Zooma or the Thunderthief.

Them Crooked Vultures has also not really come out of my CD player either.
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby eupher61 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 am

clane wrote:I have believed that the bulk of what most people think of as being defining characteristics of Led Zeppelin came from John Paul Jones for quite a while. Listen to some of the stuff he has done since. I

Totally agree. Jones was an experienced studio player, with actually more experience than Page, and had done a lot of arranging and recording in studios. He was, essentially, both George Martin and George Harrison, all but forgotten but the crowning touch which 'led' to success.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm

I kind of felt that both Grohl & Homme were sort of living out their Led Zep fantasies by hooking up with John Paul Jones. And yes, JPJ was quite an essential part of LZ, no doubt about it. Anyway, I'm ALWAYS up for listening to some LED ZEP, so, if I can ever get "Them Crooked Vultures" out of the CD player........
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat