Hūsker Dū

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Hūsker Dū

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:56 am

Besides being the name of the best band ever, Hūsker Dū? was the name of a matching game I played as a kid. It means "Do you remember?" in a couple of Scandinavian languages. I thought it was a fitting title, becasue if you don't remember back in the day, you will have no idea why I'm excited about this:

Oh, yes...ESP Cyclones. From what I have heard from early results, they are more stable and more durable than the D Cyclones yet they still have the glide unlike the X and Z Cyclones. In other words, they might be the closest thing to a Tournament Pro Cyclone yet. If you remember, you know that TP Cyclones were IT. In the 90's there was no better driver in the game.

So I'm sure it's just me, but this is the second "must try" disc of the year. I'll be giving ESP Cyclones a long look at my control driver slot.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Re: Hūsker Dū

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Wow.... I think I'd rather talk about the band than the obsolete Cyclone disc!! But, the ESP plastic is the best stuff Discraft is using these days, I've switched from Z plastic to ESP with my Buzzzes, & the ESP Buzzz is absolutely awesome!! But, the Cyclone was briefly the best driver in the '90's, that is until the Polaris LS came out! Now, I think I'll have to get "Zen Arcade" out for a listen!! Or "New Day Rising", one of the two! :D
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:00 pm

You are just a speed freak. You like faster discs. The Cyclone was always slower than the Gazelle/Cheetah/Polaris crowd of drivers that were out in the 90's. For me the Cyclone was more manageable except in the wind. I used to add a Gazelle when it got windy. Sometimes I would mix in the KC Cheetah becasue the Cyclone needs some hight to really work, and I could punch the Cheetah in on a lower line if I had a lot of low-ceiling shots. Anyway, if you like the faster discs the TeeBird or Eagle or XL makes a better control driver.

You should pull out Metal Circus. It's faster. Not Land Speed Record fast, but the sound quality on that makes it a tough listen. Metal Circus. has fast-paced, Ramones-length songs except for "Diane." It is great for speed freaks. :P
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 pm

IF I WAS REALLY a speed freak, then I would just have to love the Boss & Groove, wouldn't I? Which I don't! Back in the '90's it was all about getting distance, & once the Polaris, Gazelle, Cheetah, etc. came out, the Cyclone was finished for me & I suspect many others too. Then of course the Eagle & TeeBird. The whole concept of a "fairway driver", or "control driver", I guess just doesn't really mean anything to me! I don't feel the need to carry a disc just for such a purpose.

And I do have "Metal Circus", so I could pull that one out for a spin! 8-)
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:The whole concept of a "fairway driver", or "control driver", I guess just doesn't really mean anything to me! I don't feel the need to carry a disc just for such a purpose.
Yeah, but you throw a Buzzz, so we already knew your disc selection process was whack! :P
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:54 am

Working Stiff wrote:
jeffthrow6892 wrote:The whole concept of a "fairway driver", or "control driver", I guess just doesn't really mean anything to me! I don't feel the need to carry a disc just for such a purpose.
Yeah, but you throw a Buzzz, so we already knew your disc selection process was whack! :P

Wow....that was uncalled for! Anyway, you should be able to control ALL of your drivers, right? Otherwise, what the hell good are they?? :mrgreen: Oh, & that comment came from someone who throws Cyclones, Sentinels, & who knows what other silly discs!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby one19 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:00 pm

The Cyclone was/is a beautiful thing.

Just like the MAGIC, Wizard-lovers.

I take my Bob Mould straight up, with a little Sugar.

one19

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:33 pm

one19 wrote:.

The Cyclone was/is a beautiful thing.

Just like the MAGIC, Wizard-lovers.

I take my Bob Mould straight up, with a little Sugar.

Wow, Stiff, someone brought our silly little thread back from the dead! :lol: Uh, I maintain that the Cyclone WAS a beautiful thing, back in 1995, anyway!! As for the Magic, well, I'm always tellling the "Wizard-lovers" that they should try the Warlock!! Hell, the Voodoo is great too. And hell yeah, Sugar--- I'll have to give "Beaster" a spin.........
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 am

Beaster is the best work by Sugar. I think I'll listen to that myself. I've had Them Crooked Vultures in the car for so long I don't remember what any other bands sound like.

The ESP Cyclone has been a mainstay of my bag since last summer. I've almost moved the old Tournament Pro Cyclones out of my bag. All you have to be careful of with the ESP's is the dome. I have some green ones that are domey and perfect, and I have some white ones that are flat and suck. Otherwise they are great.

I guess you would not have seen the ESP Cyclones in my bag. I haven't run into you since Ice Bowl last year. It's been a while.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:27 am

Okay, now your REALLY scaring me........"Them Crooked Vultures" has been the ONLY thing I've been listening to in the car for some time now. For some reason, I was a little disappointed with it at first but, now it's like the only thing I've wanted to listen to, it is freaking excellent...... what a supergroup! 8-)
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat