Driver advice?

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Driver advice?

Postby tagm3 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm just getting started with the game and I'm looking for some suggestions for a good driver. I'm using a Leopard now for most of my drives (I throw it better than my Valk) and I really like it, but I'd like something with more distance.

What would you guys suggest disc-wise in both Innova and Discraft?

Thanks!
Troy
tagm3
Bogey Poster

Re: Driver advice?

Postby irwinje on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 am

Innova
Roadrunner
Monarch
Sidewinder
TL
Discraft
Avenger
Surge
The Leopard will be a very good disc for you for a long time. It is a great fairway driver with a good amount of control. More information can be found about discs and plastic types at

http://www.innovadiscs.com or
http://www.discraft.com

As a beginner you'll want to stick to understable discs, or discs that are rated 0 to -3 on Discraft's scale
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 am

tagm3 wrote:I'm just getting started with the game and I'm looking for some suggestions for a good driver. I'm using a Leopard now for most of my drives (I throw it better than my Valk) and I really like it, but I'd like something with more distance.

What would you guys suggest disc-wise in both Innova and Discraft?

Thanks!
Troy
It depends. How far are you throwing the Leopard and what is it doing for you. Are you throwing forehand or backhand? What kind of player do you want to be?

If you are throwing the Leopard 200' to 240' and you are getting a lot of fade (fall of to the left on a RHBH throw) you are right where you need to be. At that type of performance moving up to a faster disc will just exaggerate the fade. You will have to increase your skills before you will be able to unlock the distance potential in the faster discs. If you are getting the Leopard out past 250', you might be ready to step up to a faster driver but the next logical step up is the Valk. Since you already said you are throwing the Leopard better I'm going to assume you are not quite ready to do that yet.

You can try to mask the lack of power and form with high-speed understable drivers, but that will also teach you bad throwing form that will make it hard for you to get better down the road. It's a good trick if you just want to play casually for fun and are not really interested in getting as good as you can be, because it can add some distance to your game quickly. It just makes it hard to ever add any distance to it down the road.

To me the key to throwing longer is good form, and the key to getting good form is to take slow, neutral- stable discs that will show the effect of your throw. Really fast discs and overstable or understable discs tend to mask what you are doing. It's hard to tell if the disc faded because of how you threw it or because its overstable and its supposed to.

I try to encourage new players to stay away from drivers for a while, and throw a putter like the Aviar P & A and a midrange like the Comet. Those discs will show you what you are doing. If they flutter out of your hand and turn over, you are torquing the disc. If they fade early, you are not getting the disc close enough to your chest and not snapping the disc forward. On those discs it's really easy to tell what you are doing.

It seems counterintuitive to most people when I tell them that the key to throwing farther is to throw putters and mids, but I swear it's true. There is no magic disc that will jump out of you bag and fly 400' straight down the fairway. It's the archer, not the arrow. If you want to throw farther, it's up to you and your skills. You develop those skills with discs like the Aviar and Comet.

I'd recommend this web site: http://www.discgolfreview.com/ In the resources section there are articles to help with grip, form, disc selection, drills to work on, etc. There is also a forum section where you can ask questions.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby HITMAN on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 am

An XL is a great starter disc. very strait and will let you know what your doing wrong, if anything. An esp flash is very fast and just flippy enough for a new player. Other than a destroyer or a towel there are not many Innova products worth paying for.
HITMAN
Par Poster

Postby listen4chains on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 am

Great advice from Mr. Jeremy, for sure!

But I suggest that you ignore the Innova bashing from the Hitman, he thinks he is sponsored by Discraft or somethin' silly like that. :D

INNOVA RULES!!! No discs for disc golf at ALL if it weren't for Dave Dunipace, INNOVA INNOVATOR #1, and patent holder, and the man besides Ed Headrick we should all be thankful for this most excellent of fun things to do without being WET, and I ain't talking RAIN :mrgreen:
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat