Gateway Savage and Apache

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Gateway Savage and Apache

Postby Working Stiff on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 pm

So, the "longer Assassin" driver that was supposed to be the Apex has become two drivers, neither of which are called the Apex.

A collection of Davey Mac posts on them stolen from the PDGA board. The first is from 4/8:
Gateway_Disc_Sports wrote:We ran the NEW Driver with a different top ( sharper nose radius) on Monday and seem to have the less overstable version we were actually looking for.
With the new small bead on the wing, the resistance to turn really helped with this version and I really liked the flight. easier to pop up from Hyzer which is my preferred style and less fade. Probably not as good into a strong head wind but still performed well into a head wind and glided forever with the wind.
Before we added the small bead, this tighter nosed version flipped straight to the right and rolled when throw with power.
Great for players who can only throw 200 feet, but not so good for everyone else unless you are looking for a roller.
The name Savage is perfect for the slightly overstable version, but now we need another name of the this straighter/stable model. I'm still liking Apex, but also considering bring back the name Apache for this one, as it flies like a Flatter, Faster, longer winged Apache,, any thoughts???

The next from 4/11:
Gateway_Disc_Sports wrote:These 2 drivers surely help bridge the gap between the Sabre and Illusion not only in flight but in wing size.

We are going with the name Apache for the stable/understable model and Savage for the beefier one.
Its looking like the Savage is more of a headwind driver and the Apache for tailwind, though either can work for both depending on your power.
Under 250 the Apache is still a little overstable and if you have 350 power you can still turn the Savage.
They both have great control, a decent amount of speed and of course the Apache has a little Longer glide because its less stable.

I'm gonna need a little more time with them to get the actual speed, glide, turn fade numbers but they should be right in the beast/orc/wraith range!
If the discs would have a slight concave on the wing as opposed to a very small bead,,,, the Apache would look identical to a Champ Wraith only with a slightly smaller wing length!
I like the name Katana too and have it it on the table quite a few times (sounds like a longer winged discs to me).
Plans are already under way for a longer winged under stable driver and most like we will eventually have some different shapes for the wing on these,,, so dont be afraid to keep the names coming,,,

we are in production now and should be releasing them on the Auto ship Program this week.

And this one from 4/12:
Gateway_Disc_Sports wrote:I'll had more time to test the 2 new discs.
I played 2 rounds this weekend, one on Ozark Mountain and one on Akita's Run using the Apache for all the shots I would have used the Illusion, Sabre or Assassin. Not quite the D as the Baby blue Illusions for me, but similar glide and speed. ( that run of Baby Blue Illusions is freakishly long). It was noticeably faster than a Sabre or Assassin, but similar control for golf style shots.
The Apache has more resistance to turn than the Assassins and since its molded in the Evolution HPP ( new clear stuff) it came away from the mountain without a scratch and I hit plenty of rocks and trees!
The disc is certainly more stable than I had originally thought and did quite well even into a headwind.
I was able to throw the disc flat with a lot of power for all the tunnel shots out there without it flipping on me and could throw it as a Hyzer flip up disc too, but needed just about full power to get it to turn some and most of the time it would still finish left if given enough time.
It would hold a nice LONG left to right when turned over out of the hand for me and will make a nice S shot disc for a player with 300 or so power!
Carl Nichols III who is 13 was able to get a little more d out of it than with his star Orc throwing it this way, but in all they are quite similar discs, especially at his power.

A few times when I tried a long left to right and didnt get on it enough or had it too nose up it hyzered off but never as far left as I thought.
I will probably need a stack of them and an open field to see how far they will actually fly for me, but I was able to get them out well over 400 on very tight glf shot lines with just a little turn and a little fade.

The Apache was working so well ( even into mild headwinds) that the Savage didn't get any work out off the tee but I threw it for several sidearm shots and a few Spike hyzer layups where I may have used a Spirit and it performed with predictability .
I'm going to need a field for more results for both discs.
The stability of the 2 seemed to work well together for discs of that speed and wing length!

OK, it's Gateway so I know some of you have these already...give up some feedback!
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Re: Gateway Savage and Apache

Postby discdork on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 pm

picked up 5 savages for dyein purposes have one in my bag 170 grams mainly throw it as a fairway driver only had luck with it sidearm hyzers good got some clear prototype drivers at same time not positive but think there appaches they seem to pick up speed ridiculousy out of the hand less glide more fade than the savages the savages also appear to have a flatter top
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby discdork on Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 pm

now that ive had more time with the apache and savage ive came to the following conclusions the savage seems like a slightly faster saber but still seems like a saber the apache however seems to be the gem of the two very fast very stable seems to level off no matter what angle u release at , good distance not the destroyer distance i was hopen for but about the same as innova's max overall a quality driver :P
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

The gas station by White Birch had a few prototypes for sale if your interested in a test flight....
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby stlhcky on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:18 pm

The park office at White Birch has a box of Apaches and Infernos for sale for $5.00 ea. I got a 168 Apache and have used it a little now. It is real similar to the Valkyrie for me as far as distance and flight pattern, but it seems to be faster getting there with less glide. I am not the strongest armed player or the most consistent though, so my thoughts on the disc might not be the same as others.
stlhcky
Bogey Poster

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat