Thoughts on the Star TL?

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Re: Thoughts on the Star TL?

Postby REDARMY on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 pm

irwinje wrote:Speed is only one factor. You also have to consider stability. The Beast is more overstable than all 3 molds I suggested. Meaning it would be harder to turn. I've seen you throw. You have "enough arm" to turn a Roadrunner.
The only other thought I have on the TL is, where can you get one? I've not seen them in stores and I know we do not have any in stock/on order.

fair enough. that makes more sense.

ron, perhaps i'll get in touch.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 am

redarmy, with respect to a person's power and a disc's speed, there is a thread over at DGR right now that kinda touches on this subject. You might wanna give it a read:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=11380
kaht
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm

kaht wrote:redarmy, with respect to a person's power and a disc's speed, there is a thread over at DGR right now that kinda touches on this subject. You might wanna give it a read:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=11380

excellent. that joe's flight chart deal fits perfectly with what i have in mind. i think i can throw 250, so that puts the beast out of my range, but leaves me smack in the middle for the TL.

being less overstable than the beast, as jeff pointed out, makes even more sense (to me anyway).

i can't argue with the much more experienced folk here ( but i try :) ), but it seems to me the math backs up the fact that a TL would be right for me until i can get more arm speed.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 pm

REDARMY wrote:i can't argue with the much more experienced folk here ( but i try :) ), but it seems to me the math backs up the fact that a TL would be right for me until i can get more arm speed.
Really, there a lot of discs you can use for that shot if you know how to throw the shot. I don't think there is a magic disc that will make you better, it's still up to you to make the shot.

I know a lot of people (myself included) that don't really know how to throw. I know the discs in my bag and know pretty much how they are going to behave when I throw them, but I don't really understand what I'm doing to the disc to get that result. When I get a new disc, it's a whole new learning process of understanding what that disc is going to do. As a result I depend a lot on the disc to do the work for me and do stupid things like jump in a lake after an XL that I'm not exactly sure how I would play without because it's far in away the best turnover driver I have.

A really good player can take fairly neutral stable discs and execute any shot he needs with them. Back before all the high-speed drivers came out, I saw Ron Russell play an event with a Magnet, a Comet and a Cyclone. He made all the shots and won the event. That's what the guys who can really throw can do...take one disc and throw it dead straight, hyzer and anyzer and execute the shots. It didn't matter that Russell didn't have a "turnover driver" or an "overstable midrange" because he wasn't depending on the disc to execute the shot.

My point? I probably don't have one. Basically if you really want to learn to play, get an Aviar (or two or 10) and learn to make it do everything. Take it out to a field and throw it over and over. Learn to throw hyzers and turnovers with it. Learn to throw it lazer straight. Throw it till you love it (or hate it.) If you can figure it out, then you will be in control. Then you can just take a disc like and Eagle and use it for everything. Or you can be like me and depend on the disc to do the work. Here is a hint...put some extra towels in your car if you are going to play like me. :P
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby emptv on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Disc up,

I agree with Bubbakick, since I can't make the disc do what I want, I must carry a lot of disc that do differant things. Therefore I have extra towels with me, for they absorb my tears of frustration. :lol:

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby Disc Ninja on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 am

I found a STAR TL with no name on it a couple years ago and have loved it ever since. It's a fairway driver that i use for relatively short righty hyzer drives and long range approach shots. Dissapointed to have lost it recently in springfield MO!
Disc Ninja
Bogey Poster

Previous

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat