Innova Dart

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Innova Dart

Postby BubbaKick on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Strealing press releases from other sites:

09-02-20 - Innova Dart

The latest putt and approach model from Innova is called the Dart. It is similar to the Aviar P & A, except that it has less fade and a little more range. The preliminary numbers are speed=3, glide=4, turn=0 (HSS) och fade=0 (LSS). It is made with a new R-Pro material where R basically stands for Rubber. This material is most similar to JK Pro and Pro Rhyno and it stays very grippy and flexible in cold or wet weather.

The Dart was approved last yesterday, it measures like this:
Outside diameter: 21.2 cm (max weight 176.0gr)
Inside rim diameter: 18.8 cm
Height: 2.2 cm
Rim depth: 1.4 cm
Rim thickness: 1.2 cm
Flexibility rating: 5.10 kg
Rim configuration rating: 38.00

Dart art will be released together with Star Boss and R-Pro Aviar P & A if everything is running according to plan.
There is a big chance that the Rhyno and Aviar-X will be made in R-Pro in a near future.
So...Pro R plastic, hun? It seems like Innova considers the new Vibram putters a legitimate threat.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Re: Innova Dart

Postby dehaas on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

I ordered a prototype XD out of the new innova plastic a few weeks ago. At the time what I ordered was a "supersoft", and they had a "verysoft" that was out of stock. Apparently they made 100 or so of the supersoft and only like 2 dozen of the very soft. The supersoft is almost blowfly-like floppy. It's got a nice grippyness to it, but I wish it were firmer, the disc completely bends in half with no problems at all. It definitely grabs the chains, but from what I've noticed so far if you put some juice on it, it likes to recoil and spit back out. I'd be interested in seeing if this new R plastic is the super floppy plastic that I ordered, or if it's the verysoft. Something between what this floppy stuff and JK plastic would be sweet. I really miss my oldschool special edition rhyno, hands down the grippiest putter I've ever used.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:43 pm

A little birdie told me I was way off base here. The manufacturer in the cross hairs here is not Vibram, but Millennium. Rumor has it that the Dart is aimed at Millenniums top selling disc, the Omega SS. I've heard Innova is tired of providing space to make runs of slow-selling Millennium discs when they could be churning out more profitable discs under their own banner. So they are introducing the R-plastic to make the Supersoft Omega plastic obsolete and they are working on a premium plastic fairway driver that would start out neutral-stable to put a dagger in the JLS. They are also not going to release a prototype disc that got very good reviews last summer that was tentatively called the JLF that was a TeeBird-ish disc OR an overstable high-speed disc that was tentatively called the Orion LFX. Sooo...Millennium will not be getting any new molds and there will be new Innova discs to compete with their bread and butter discs.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:15 am

i don't understand the millenium-innova connection

/new to all of this....
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am

Back in the day (this particular day was '95) the prevailing wisdom was that $7.00 was the absolute TOP CEILING that anyone would pay for a golf disc. There was the potential for better plastics, but that would cost money. One this discs golfers had consistently been up to that point was allergic to spending money. So it wasn't done.

At this time Discraft had by far the best plastic on the market. It was the Tournament Pro or "Cyclone" plastic. Innova plastic sucked in comparison. Innova wanted to introduce a better plastic, but it would cost more like $10.00/disc than $7.00. A lot of people thought the idea was doomed, that there was no way disc golfers would pay $10.00 for a disc. Millennium was a partnership between Innova and Circular productions. Innova would make the molds and mold the discs in the premium plastic. Circular productions would sell them as Millennium Discs. That way if the idea was a bust it was Millennium that failed, not Innova.

But...it worked. Within two years Innova launched it's own premium plastic line, undercutting Millenniums position in the market. After a while Innova sold out their stake in the company back to Circular Productions. So now Millennium is still there and Innova still makes the discs, but the partnership is over. Evidently, it's not working out all that well. Millennium is kinda stuck, because it's not like they can shop around for another company to partner with. Their best selling disc is made from the Aviar mold. So the ball is in Innova's court. Whatever becomes of Millennium Discs, it will be Innova that makes the decision.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat