Full Color KC Rocs

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Full Color KC Rocs

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 pm

I was pretty excited about the news that Innova was going to release KC Rocs with full-color stamps. Since the early runs of 11X's, the KC Rocs have been disappointing to me. The later 11X's, the 0X's and 12X's I've thrown were all just not as stable as I want a KC Roc to start out. I actually have not had a KC Roc in my bag for several years. I replaced them with Sentinels. But...as always happens to me, they changed the top of the Sentinel and now I have to scrounge around for old San Marino Sentinels. :roll:

I figured the full color KC Rocs would flatten like the Ching Rocs, and Ching Roc + KC Roc = $$$. If the new full color KC's were like a 10X or early 11X, I could just stock up on them and quit searching for San Marino Sentinels. I picked up a full color KC at the Ice Bowl and it was flat just like a Ching. I was excited.

Except...well, it's not any more stable than a 12X. After giving it a lot of throws, I'd have to say it is no more stable out of the box that any other KC Roc you can pick up right now.

Has anybody else thrown the new full-color KC Rocs yet? Maybe I just got a dud, but I'm certainly not going to be able to replace the Sentinel with the one I got.

BTW...anybody got any San Marino Q Sentinels they want to trade? I've got a really pretty full color 2009 Ice Bowl KC Roc... :)
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Re: Full Color KC Rocs

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:19 am

Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, I got one disc for you that would make you forget all about them silly Rocs(& even sillier Sentinels), it's called The Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! :P
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 am

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...if I switch to the Buzzz, what exactly do you propose that I do with the stack of 37 Rocs in my basement?

At least now I know how many posts it takes the Buzzz crazies to try and hijack a Roc thread... :roll:
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:10 am

BubbaKick wrote:Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...if I switch to the Buzzz, what exactly do you propose that I do with the stack of 37 Rocs in my basement?

At least now I know how many posts it takes the Buzzz crazies to try and hijack a Roc thread... :roll:

Well I suppose you could go ahead & build another stack of 37 KC Rocs trying to find one that is stable enough!! :D Or... you could just buy ONE Z or ESP Buzzz & be done with it, already!!! :twisted:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 am

Well, what the old KC Rocs and the old Sentinel added to my bag was a disc that I could throw into a headwind when I HAVE to end up left. Both discs would give me a nice long straight flight with a predictable fade and not flip even with a lot of torque, or if they did flip they would come back. I can flip a Z Buzzz into the wind even with some hyzer on it and it won't come back. I can flip a Wasp into a headwind and it won't come back. I can flip a 12X KC Roc into headwind and it won't come back. The Gator and Drone are so overstable with no glide that they are pointless to me. So I COULD use a Z Buzzz for that shot if I wanted to have no confidence in the disc I was throwing.

Back to the issue...has anyone else thrown the new full color KC Rocs? What did you think?
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Well I find that a Buzzz Or Wasp will handle a headwind pretty well, usually. But... I'm sorry, I'll quit "hijacking" the thread about Rocs, I'm done. For now, anyway!!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:41 pm

U should put down all of those junk discs and try the warrior.
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:00 pm

I've tried the Warrior. It might be a contender, but I hate the feel. Too driver-like. I hate drivers, I'd rather throw a mid that feels like a mid in the hand. In flight it might work, I really don't have enough throws on to really evaluate how resistant to turn it is. However, it's a Gateway disc. I'd end up looking for this run instead of that run. It might be easier to just keep looking for OOP Sentinels.

Still looking for anyone else who has thrown a full color KC Roc.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:14 pm

forehand wrote:U should put down all of those junk discs and try the warrior.

C'mon Brian, you know you used to throw Buzzz, don't give me that "junk disc" B. S.! Perhaps the Warrior has replaced the Buzzz for you, but for me, the warrior is too disappointingly simliar to a Element. At least the S plastic one I got from you is. It's too flat, not that stable, & doesn't have the glide a Buzzz has. Now maybe the E plastic warrior will be different but, I agree with Bubba in that the warrior(or element) is more like a driver in feel than a midrange. An even bigger diameter than the Buzzz or Roc doesn't thrill me, either. So while I'm always eager to try new Gateway plastic, the warrior didn't really click for me!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:41 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:
forehand wrote:U should put down all of those junk discs and try the warrior.

C'mon Brian, you know you used to throw Buzzz, don't give me that "junk disc" B. S.! Perhaps the Warrior has replaced the Buzzz for you, but for me, the warrior is too disappointingly simliar to a Element. At least the S plastic one I got from you is. It's too flat, not that stable, & doesn't have the glide a Buzzz has. Now maybe the E plastic warrior will be different but, I agree with Bubba in that the warrior(or element) is more like a driver in feel than a midrange. An even bigger diameter than the Buzzz or Roc doesn't thrill me, either. So while I'm always eager to try new Gateway plastic, the warrior didn't really click for me!

Jeff,
How about unger tomorrow, 3:15?
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat