Flywood Discs

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Flywood Discs

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm

I've recently run across what I think is about the coolest disc golf product I've seen: wood disc golf discs that are meant to be played.
The company is called Flywood. http://flywooddiscgolf.com Their discs are made of 7-ply Canadian Hardrock Maple, just like a pro skateboard deck (so you know they're tough as nails) and can be custom ordered for shape, weight, color and so forth.

I ordered 3 of Flywood's in-house models (the "Log" putter, the "Harvest" midrange and the "Walking Stick" driver) to give them a test run and they arrived today. They look phenomenal, feel fantastic in my hands and even smell great. Mine came pretreated with tung oil, hemp oil and beeswax to give them a good water-resistant, grippy, protective coating - they feel really nice. Another thing I instantly noticed when I picked them up is how well balanced they feel - the difference between them and how balanced my best plastic feels is astounding - the wood is just plain better.

Of course, it wouldn't be my life without some poetic irony; I'm getting them on the first day of the season where the weather is complete crap. So, I haven't been out to the course to throw them just yet, but if they fly as good as my first impressions have led me to believe, it will be sweet.

Here's some pictures. You'll see that I got the exact weights I ordered too.

From left to right: Harvest 167g, Log 175g, Walking Stick 169g

Walking Stick top and bottom on scale.

I'll get you a review after the weather gives me a break so I can go pitch 'em. (further than into the practice basket in my basement.)
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Flywood Discs

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:14 am

Umm.......those are really........weird! :?

Are they PDGA approved??? Surely they probably wouldn't pass a flexibilty test.......
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:06 pm

The pictures do no justice to them. They are just like your normal discs, but made of 7-ply hardrock maple.

They meet every single PDGA guidline except the flex test. So, if that's a high priority for your game, these would not be a disc I could recommend to you. I am not personally concerned with whether a disc is approved or not, so I'm happy to give them a toss.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 am

Besides the flex test. All disc must be made of non magnetic plastic material w/out any inflatable components. So PDGA appoval is most likely out. Innova does make the woody that has small particles of wood in the plastic. I think the flywoods wood 'ha' make great trophys you could burn club logos on pretty easily. Or a wood tourny set up like a roller tourny. Use on drive only or putt only and give the disc as part of a players pak for that partiular toury.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Sorry JBA, I totally forgot that one. You're absolutely right, they apparently must be made of plastic. Not sweating it though.

For what it's worth to the folks here, I took the Flywoods to Sioux Passage yesterday and threw them on all 18. It was a really cold, windy, wet, nasty day with snow still on the ground turning to slop. I should have stayed inside, but I had to give these discs some play.

I took the time to throw them right along side the the discs that they most resembled in my bag: The Walking Stick vs. Archon and the Log vs. VooDoo. (The Harvest was for purchased for a friend, so I did not throw it today.)

So, how did they do? That seems to be the million dollar question.

The grip on them is really nice and comfortable and easy to get used to. All the Flywoods have a grip similar to something like the Gateway Element SureGrip (still flat at the edge of the lip, but the have a rounded tapering where the lip meets the flight plate). They were great for forehand shots that came out of my hand fast and level without the usual small amount of oat. It was kinda weird to get used to the complete lack of flex at first... but that turned into a good thing after a few throws... especially on the long putts.

The Walking Stick driver flew similar to my Archon - very stable and straight off the box with a slight mid flight right hand turn followed by a long straight middle, but definitely had a lot more low speed glide near the end which led to a slower and longer fade. It was really windy (like I already said) and I witnessed what seemed to be a greater tendency for the Flywood driver to get a bit more lift and float in the wind near the end of flight; sometimes that was good, sometimes that was bad. A real shiny point for this disc was the roller - since there was hardly any bounce when it hit the ground, it went straighter and faster than normal.

The Log and the VooDoo flew pretty much identically when I got consistent releases and consistent wind. It was, again, a damn gusty day so slow speed throws were a bit of a crap-shoot... but there were still enough baskets in protected positions that I could get a decent comparison. The biggest difference between the two was grip and the sound of contact. It was actually a blessing to me to have the lower profile lip and rounded angle at the flight plate: I felt like my release was a little more stable, especially on forehand putts (which I struggle with). The sound when the Log hits the basket is kinda neat to me - kinda reminded me of two boken (wooden practice katana swords) striking one another. I usually have been throwing soft putters, so this didn't seem to stick to the chains as well at first... so I pulled out the disc of beeswax that came with the discs and rubbed down the edge real good. Yup, that did the trick - it sticks fine now.

OK, obviously the big debate concerning these discs on other sites has been about durability. Are these going to get nicked and splintered up from impact with trees and the ground? Are they going to split and warp in the wet weather? Are they going to crack? Admittedly, this was just day one of testing... but so far, so good.

I both intentionally and accidentally chucked the driver into several trees at full speed. I also threw that roller. Nothing more than a little bit of roughness in one spot and a very mild bit of denting in one other place where I really whacked it. Seriously, the edge of the disc seems brand new except in that one place where you can only feel (not see) a slight roughness to it where the finish is spotted. No scratches or marks on the flight plate yet either. Nothing I wouldn't expect from a Champ plastic disc.

The putter actually took on a few minor dents in the very edge from long putts that missed the chains and bonked off the rim of the bucket and one that came in fast and low right into the post. It's nothing I haven't seen on a plastic putter before, but it didn't get any burrs or gouges like a DX... just dents.

Since it was such a wet and yucky day, I also got to test how they would react to being wet for a whole game. That was surprising as well. The tung/hemp oil finish did it's job better than I expected and the water just beaded up and wiped right off. There's not one sign of any water staining, splitting or anything else - it's like they were never wet.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I'll add this to my above comments as I had a chance to throw a little in an open field today over my lunch break. It was still very windy today, but much warmer and dryer.

All assuming a RHBH: The Walking Stick driver was more definitely more overstable than the Archon when throwing with the wind at my back and resulted in less distance by about 50'. When throwing into the wind, the Archon was turning right early and pretty understable - the Walking Stick held its line longer... still had a little bit of right turn but straightened out and faded long and slow, giving it a slight edge on the distance over the Archon (about 18').

I'm certain these could get more distance and be less overstable if the edge were sharper. The craftsman/owner for Flywood seems to be intentionally giving them a rounder leading edge in an attempt to increase impact durability. From the experience I've had so far, I think it could easily be sharper without much compromise for durability.

I'm not a big distance thrower, so I tend to get far more distance out of understable and stable discs, where it seems to me that the big-guns tend to get more distance out of overstable discs. I still look forward to getting the Walking Stick into the hands of a local pro for a better idea of its capabilities.

I took a high contrast photo of the profile of the Walking Stick and then traced the outline with vectors in photoshop to get this profile drawing below. I'd love to get some input on any local disc aerodynamic experts about what this disc should fly like based on the image. Anyone?

The Log had an almost identical profile to a VooDoo, with the same rounded underside, so I'm not going to the trouble of drawing that too.

All said, the discs I ordered this time were the stock Flywood models. He will do custom orders... so I'm probably going to see what he can do in the way of a TeeBird on my next order as that's my favorite disc.

So, while I'm sure that I haven't changed any minds... and they didn't provide a disc golf epiphany... my initial run made me very happy.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 am

I don't think I'd want to get hit with one of those......

Anyway, after playing this sport for 30 years or so, the idea of throwing a disc made in a material other than some sort of plastic seems pretty foreign to me!! They would indeed make very nice plaques, though....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 am

Here is a link to a youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1hJ...yer_detailpage

I agree that I wouldn't want to get hit by one, but nor would I want to get hit by any driver. I am sure the effects of getting hit by one of these is very similar to getting hit by a piece of champ plastic...170 grams is still 170 grams, no matter what the material.

I would love to give these a try for the novelty sake. I love throwing anything that flies...discs, frisbees, paper airplanes, boomerangs, and just about everything else.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:32 pm

There is something wrong with the link or the video you linked to Doh... but if it's the same Flywood video I've seen before, it isn't a good vid for representing this product. The guys doing the putting with the Log really suck and it makes the discs look like they suck.
I almost aced basket 4 at WT last night with my Log - banged the rim of the DiscCatcher just enough to watch it fall and bounce off the edge of the bucket. Grrr, so close.

Another nice benefit that didn't occur to me until someone else said it is that they will float. I tested that theory last night and they do indeed - upside down or right side up. That is truely pleasing as I've yet to find a floating plastic that I actually liked.

Greg, any time you want to give them a spin, just call me up.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Allright puppet I have a beef with flywood now. You said that they sent beeswax to put on them, now you hopefully know that putting any foriegn substances on the disc that leave any tacky residue is forbiden. The company is not even going to try and get them appoved by PDGA from what i understand.Like i said before they wood make good trophies especially if he is willing to custom make them. And getting hit by any flying object always suks.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat