New Speed 13 Innova Driver-THE GROOVE

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

New Speed 13 Innova Driver-THE GROOVE

Postby BubbaKick on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:04 pm

From the discgolfsweden site, which for some reason always breaks news on new discs before any U.S. site...

08-11-20 - Groove is in the air

A new driver from Rancho Cucamonga, California will be airborne soon, the Groove is a speed 13 slightly turning power driver. It is aimed at less powerful throwers as a complement to the Boss with a straighter flight and in lower weight, it goes down to 164 grams in Champion material.

Preliminary figures for the flight rating are; Speed=13, glide=5, HSS=0-2 and LSS=2.

The Boss in Champion plastic is scheduled to be run during December, to be released early in 2009. It will probably appear as a fundraiser in Star plastic first.

I'm assuming where it says "Boss" in the last paragraph is a typo that should say "Groove."

I'm guessing if they can get a Boss-type disc down to 164 g in Champ plastic that they put a Monarch-type wing on it, which may also explain the lame "Groove" name. Anyway, a Boss with Monarch glide might be a huge distance disc for weenie-arms. It might also be a touchy-flippy-inconsistent POS. Time will tell.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Re: New Speed 13 Innova Driver-THE GROOVE

Postby REDARMY on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:31 am

well i suppose i am one of those 'weenie-arms', so does that mean i need to get lighter discs to get farther drives?

that makes sense on one hand, but it also doesn't....
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Are people interested in trying these out. We'll be placing an order at teh end of Jan next year. I can order a handful of these if people are interested. Also, we only have 7 of teh CFR Bosses left. Let me know you want one or track me down at the course. They go for $20/ea.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:23 am

REDARMY wrote:well i suppose i am one of those 'weenie-arms', so does that mean i need to get lighter discs to get farther drives?

that makes sense on one hand, but it also doesn't....
Light weight understable discs in theory are farther flying discs. Sometimes theory and fact don't match up very well.

As a general rule, lighter drivers will fly farther and have more glide, with less low speed overstability. Heavier drivers are more accurate as they rip out of the hand more consistently and are less affected by wind. They will behave more overstable as well. So there is a trade off.

Understable discs work well for low power players, but the catch is that understable discs are squirrelly. They are easily thrown off course by bad form or wind. Overstable discs are a lot more consistent, although that can mean consistently left! :P The faster the discs get, the touchier they get. Fast understable drivers like the Monarch and Roadrunner are bitchy little drivers in calm conditions. Add in some wind, and they are unpredictable as all get out.

Combine the two...light and understable...and you can have your hands full. Add in some wind, and you have the recipe for a really long and frustrating day on the course.

With the leaves down and the big winter winds blowing, this is not the greatest time to be testing out light understable plastic. Winter is a better time to work on form with slower, heavier midrange and approach discs. Midrange and approach discs will actually fly farther in heavier weights assuming that you have the form and power to throw them. Learning to throw those discs properly will go a long way to improve your form with your drivers as well. Once the leaves pop out in the Spring and the winds die down, that will be a better time to experiment with light understable drivers.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Innova Groove Approved Yesterday
Rated 13,5,-2,2
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am

Please order some of these, too, Jeff, thank you in advance!!
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby kaht on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am

Something I found interesting about the stamp on this disc is that it's got innova's "windowpane" flight chart stamped directly on the disc that shows the disc's flight characteristics. Unfortunately it doesn't say what the numbers mean - so it doesn't really benefit a new player.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:57 pm

I have heard that some Discraft-ers like the flight rating right on the disc so it is easy to tell what it will do just by looking at it. Additionally, I have heard that some Innova throwers like Discraft's "on disc" rating system but feel that it is not complete enough and wish for more information. I think this is why Innova did it. I would expect to see that included in all stamps from here out.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 pm

I went to Innova's web site earlier today & didn't see ANY mention of the Groove whatsoever!! So, first I'm wondering where you got the picture of the disc from, & then I'm wondering when exactly are they releasing this disc. It also appears that some of it's rating numbers have changed, such as the glide rating- first mentioned as a " 5 ", & now on that picture it looks like it says a " 6".
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 am

Innova sends out a email newsletter to dealers that has information that does not appear on their website for a while afterwards. A lot of places link those releases to the web site, but I don't think Innova does.

Discraft also has an e-newsletter, but anybody can sign up to get it.

Gateway hasn't even updated their web site to show the Magic :o so I don't think they have an e-newsletter.

BTW Jeff, the last Discraft e-newsletter announced they were bringing back the Z Comet. Sweet. Just in time for my complete conversion back to Comets. I picked up a couple, but I haven't had a chance to throw them yet. It's like getting a Champ Ontario Roc!

They released a few drivers in Z as well...The Force, Surge SS and Avenger SS.

The only other rumor I've heard is that Latitude 64 is supposed to have three new drivers out in the spring, and the proto's convinced Jesper Lundmark to jump the Innova ship. The discs are a Valk-like driver called The Striker, a more overstable version of the same disc called the Trident, and "put on your big-boy pants" high-speed overstable driver called the XXX (it's too easy, I'm just gonna leave it alone.) Latitude 64 has some nice discs already, and the Opto plastic is fantastic. So the Swedes are beginning to look like a bigger player in the disc golf world.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat