Misc. Equipment you should always carry

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Misc. Equipment you should always carry

Postby Dooley Noted on Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 am

Howdy everyone.
Just recently started to devote myself to this wonderful sport.
I'll admit, I'm a convert from playing collegiate level ultimate, but we're all havin fun in the end, right?

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some input from the online/local community as to what items (other than discs :roll: ) that I should carry with me while I play.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Glad to be here!
"I shouldn't say things to illiterate people..... I should write them."
Dooley Noted
Bogey Poster

Re: Misc. Equipment you should always carry

Postby discdoh on Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am

If it is normal weather conditions, not much else. Maybe a cell phone protector...and maybe a reminder to turn it off. A reusable water container is good too.

If it is raining, all sorts of stuff. Extra shoes, shirts, socks, and pants are always a good idea. In the trunk is fine...just gotta remember to use it. If you can get a little dry at anytime, it's a good thing. I'll pass it on - What is your best wet weather bag setup?
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Dooley Noted on Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 am

To be honest.. I don't really have one.... :lol:

It just kind of dawned on me today when I was throwin a quick nine at godforsaken Watson Trails....

I ran into a guy who had a towel.
Makes sense, seeming as how I was constantly wiping my hands on my pants and whatnot. Other than that, my menial mind can't seem to think outside of the box.

Seriously though, any preferred setup by other forum members is welcome info here.
I'm all ears.
"I shouldn't say things to illiterate people..... I should write them."
Dooley Noted
Bogey Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Fri May 21, 2010 6:33 pm

I usually use a micro-fiber towel attached to my belt loop with a caribiner clip. You can't use a long towel or it will scrape the ground now and again.
This setup works well in heavy rain if you have an umbrella. Attach the towel to the underside of your umbrella that way it's always hanging out of the rain. Use the umbrella to shelter your bag. While selecting your disc you'll have a handy towel hangin' right in front of you to wipe your hands/gear off. I also put a chamois across the top of my discs inside the bag. That way, when I get a disc out, not very much rain is getting on the discs. The rain stays on the chamois instead.
I can go on and on about the rain gear...

Another good thing, especially if it's a wooded course, is long socks. Poison ivy, ticks, cuts, scrapes, etc. will be less of a problem if your wearing them. Waterproof socks are also very nice. I like the tall Under Armour socks.

My palms sweat a lot so I use a "Birdie Bag." It's filled with some type of powder, not like chalk. It works really well to dry your hands or even take some moisture off your discs.

I also use the "Equalizer" which is a fancy name for a piece of rubber. It's surgical rubber tubing with a handle on one end and a loop on the other. Tie it off to a tree or tee sign and start stretching. You can pull it different ways to simulate different throws, i.e. backhand, forehand, overhand and even roller. It works well for building arm speed and they sell it in three different resistance levels.

Using backpack straps or a backpack helps with fatigue. If you constantly are carrying your bag on one shoulder, you're slowly wearing your arm down. Use the straps and distribute the weight evenly.

Bug spray: I hate mosquitos and ticks so I always come prepared with Off Deep Woods.

Relaxed fitting clothes are a plus. Baggy clothes will hold you up during your shots.

A solid pair of hiking/trail shoes are at the top of my list. If you can get waterproof/weather resisitant ones then you'll enjoy your morning rounds without the morning dew getting your socks soaked.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby Sam Pilla on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 pm

You should always have a Gateway Wizard. Best putter for any type of put situation, even 150 footers +. Got mine last Sunday at Sioux during the Club Championship. Amazing!
RCF: 98
Sam Pilla

Postby emoney on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Lots of great idaes from those guys. Do you have a mini disc? U should get use to marking ur disc instead of flip method. U wil need to mark ur disc n most tourneys if u get n any. The St. Louis open has a novice level and that would be good to try if u haven't tried a tourney. But, all tourneys are good to try cuz it helps our club and parks out. As well as the fundraisers! What course would u say is ur home?
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 am

i have: spare scorecards, a knife, a swiss army knife, tylenol, spare hot hands, kleenex, bandaids, neosporin, hand cleaner, nail clippers, scissors, a hand pruner for trimming bushes, a mud removal towel, water removal towel, and a softball for tree retrieval, among other things, in my bag.

yes, the bag is heavy, and i am dying for straps, but i like to be prepared :D
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat