Unbelievable...

lose your disc? leave one behind? post it up in here...

Unbelievable...

Postby discdoh on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:36 am

The same disc that was stolen by a couple kids last week (see previous post) has once again been stolen by a couple kids! Unbelievable! I was fortunate enough to get it back last Sunday after the perps lost it later on in their round on Hole 13. This time the kids flat out picked the disc up off the ground and ran off with it. Neil tried to give chase, but it was right at sunset and getting dark. Either they were hiding in the woods somewhere or they took a covert path back to the Section 8 apartments and slipped away. My only hope for getting this disc back is if they use it and lose it, and it somehow gets returned to me again.

All of this after I spent an hour or so stripping off all of the Sharpie from the previous thieves and re-applying all of the ACE artwork. I guess it wasn't meant to be...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: Unbelievable...

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 pm

And people keep giving me crap about avoiding playing JB unless it's a special event :roll:

I want to love JB, but every time I play there something bad happens: a stolen disc, a lost disc, some idiots holding up the game for hours, a rude prick trying to start crap, another stolen disc...

If anyone has some good suggestions about how we can turn the tide at JB, I'd love to hear them.

I hope you get your disc back Greg and that these kids suffer a fate worse than "Mike and Angie". Perhaps a flesh eating bacteria that they got from picking up your disc where it landed. They lose their hand over it, but inadvertently saved yours by grabbing it first.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 am

Man.......I have long loved JB, but hearing about all the nonsense down there these days sucks!! Kids stealing discs, etc., etc. .......... :evil:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby jhenson on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Young blonde haired kid? I saw him during the CC and hanging around 13/17 tee during the nooner. Definately of the age that is willing to pull off stupid crap like this.
jhenson
Bogey Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Doh/Josh,
The old homeboys have been down this road before, the BOB of the group goes out and challenges the blond boy. He is not stupid and only doing what he has been taught. We have to teach them another way. It will not be the first time... No violence just a good reminding that it could be....
These kids only know what they are taught.. Just one story that comes to mind, I had this kid come tell me I gonna have my dad come out and cap ur ars. LOL Welcome to the hood.

:mrgreen:
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I've not had any problems with the neighborhood around JB personally. Every issue I've had was from drunken DGers, chuckers, rednecks parking their lawn chairs and grills right next to the basket as if to say, "I dare you to hit me" and general jackasses like the teens that jumped out of the van and swiped my disc right in front of Ron and I during the Ta -Ta's. Those turds weren't from the neighborhood, they just know that JB is an easy spot to swipe discs because of the roads next to the course and the high amount of DG traffic.

Definitely not to say that there haven't been a heaping helping of problems stemming from the apartments, but just to make sure we aren't blaming it all on them. It isn't isolated to JB either. I've had FAR more problems there, but even in the heart of Sunset Hills (ooh la la) at Watson Trail, I've had uncomfortable run-ins. Heard a story this afternoon about some big, mean drunk guy who apparently plays there a lot and causes trouble. He apparently screams profanity at the top of his lungs every time he hits a tree, etc. and has pulled a knife a couple of times on other players for saying something about it (the loud yelling) or asking to play through.

I had to get into an uncomfortable confrontation at Watson this evening when I actually caught the dumb asses that wrote "Money Shot!" in permanent marker on the slide at the playground between 6 and 7 along with their initials and the dates they hit it. I wouldn't have known it was them, but they were pissed because someone (that would be me) cleaned their graffiti off and they were trying to hit it again so they could rewrite it. Nothing happened in the end except they left, but they felt totally entitled to throw discs where they don't belong and that it was perfectly OK to deface city property to show off their "awesome skills".

The part of all this that makes me angry is that it fuels the negative stereotypes that DGers already have sticking to our asses. Just because 10% of the players are "Loud mouth, pot smoking, inconsiderate losers", we all are (in the public eye). I just wish I knew how to get these people to wake up or quit playing DG.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Not all "pot smokers" are "loudmouthed" or "inconsiderate losers"....the alcohol drinkers are more of a problem in my opinion...as this sport grows it will also encounter more and more trouble but with growth comes good things too so just keep throwing and having fun.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 pm

jalbanese wrote:Not all "pot smokers" are "loudmouthed" or "inconsiderate losers"....the alcohol drinkers are more of a problem in my opinion...as this sport grows it will also encounter more and more trouble but with growth comes good things too so just keep throwing and having fun.

Crap, you got me wrong man. Very sorry. I tried to say that this is what the public sees, not me. I have NO problem with it at all, trust me. I do have a problem when idiots, acting like idiots, make it a problem that the public sees in a negative light. Not only does it make people who smoke marijuana look bad, but then the general public instantly jumps to the conclusion that all who smoke are that way... which then leads them to the conclusion that all disc golfers are the same.

The drunks also bother me a lot more personally, a lot more... but there I mean "drunks", not those who simply drink. It's an issue with excess and irresponsible behavior.

The point I failed to make is that it's important to spread the idea that we have a responsibility to try to act especially well in front of the public to set a good impression. As a group (disc golfers that is), who have unfortunately been labeled by the masses as these negative things, I try to do more than I normally ever would to sway that opinion back to our favor. I won't smoke in public, I always say, "Hello, how are you today." to non players when I pass them in the parks. I pick up trash and put it in a plastic bag tied to my belt as I play. I keep my voice to a reasonable level and I try hard not to use any "vulgar" language or get angry while I'm playing. I would never normally care too much of what John Q Public thinks of me, but I feel obligated to counter the stereotypes and hopefully leave people with the thought, "Hmm, I guess not all these guys are losers like I assumed."

I know this topic has gone WAY off at this point, but I wanted to apologize for the misunderstanding and try to clarify what I meant. Thanks.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:42 am

Hey StubPup..we're alot alike when it comes to our views on disc golf etiquette and behavior. Thanks for voicing (typing) your opinion.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Return to Lost Discs