River City Flyers *Elections*

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: St. Louis Club Championships

Postby f-b-i- on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am

i sure hope hope the election is on the up and up this year. elected members should not have anything to do with the election. should not touch the ballots. last years election was a scam. lots of members think something was a miss. what happend to the ballots from last year. the ballots should be counted at the end of day 2 in front of the membership. lets have a ballot box, not somebodys pocket are on the table. apoint a person to trans port the box to the next course. put 2 locks on it with 2 differnt keys. give the keys to differnt people.
f-b-i-
Bogey Poster

Postby listen4chains on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am

i AGREE, ROGER, THERE NEEDS TO BE A SEALED BOX, THAT IS NOT ONLY LOCKED, BUT TAPED SHUT, SO ANY TAMPERING IS TOTALLY NOTICEABLE.

iN DAYS PAST, PEOPLE WOULD SEAL ENVELOPES WITH WAX, AND PUT THEIR SIGNET RING IN IT. IF THE SIGNET WAS BROKEN, YOU KNEW SOMEONE HAD OPENED YOUR LETTER, KIND OF LIKE HOW BOTTLES OF TYLENOL HAVE TAMPER-PROOF SEALS, TO ENSURE SOMEONE HAS NOT PUT CYANIDE IN THERE...
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:54 am

I agree that a better system needs to be in place for the election methods.

With regard to last years results, I think it is safe to say that they are
not necessarily accurate. I am not referring to the "counting process" either.
The "stuffing" of ballets is my concern. As long as three or four people NOT
currently on the board OR running for the board are counting the votes (and
they agree on the outcome), then that is NOT the problem.

The problem is allowing each and EVERY member an opportunity to vote
ONCE and ONLY ONCE ! ! ! THAT is the issue.

At this point, I do not have a solution to this problem. and I do not have
ANY ideas.

While it is easy to say, have everyone vote during the club champs weekend,
that is not a fair thing to do. What if you are out of town that week? How
will your vote be counted? You are a member of the club and want (and have
a right) to vote. Your geographic location during those limited 48 hours
should NOT prevent you from voting.

BTW, that reminds me, we should put signs up on the bulletin boards advertising
the club championships and elections at every course in the St. Louis metro.
I am referring to a dedicated flyer, not simply "on the schedule." (If this has
already been done, forgive me, as I have only "glanced" at the JB board but
didn't notice one).

Thanks for reading.
DD
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby mkane on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Voting can be accomplished via a simple ballot box, sealed with a slot to put the ballots into. The key is the RCF Roster; that roster has to be with the ballot box, and the members name is crossed off after they vote. If you do not think you will be able to vote because you are out of town, vote early. At the end of the voting process you count the votes and compare it to the roster. If you have 100 names on the roster, then you should have 100 ballots in the box.

1 box for ballots - design taped or locked with a slot on top
1 roster with every current member - and a line next to each name for the voter to initial when they vote.
Ballots - 4 x 11 sheets that can fit the choices on it, and can be folded to fit in the slot.

Finally the ballot location, should be clearly noted, with the available voting times. For example, 1 hour before the championships start. And in between rounds. And directly after the rounds. These times should be posted and if you cannot be there a contingency plan will need to be developed for the absentee ballots.

Pretty simple process, maybe easier than disc golf itself, as for you conspiracy theorists, you might want to spend some time in a place called "REALITY".
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby discdork on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:58 pm

i can get some tamper proof tape from work thats for nut alergen warning
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby clanger on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 pm

I agree that no one running should have control over the ballots. Mark is correct, there should be a current list of members so they can be checked off as their ballot is cast, eliminating any stuffing. Maybe the course captains should be in charge of the ballot box as they are appointed positions but still some what official. I trust all of them. A shoe box with some duct tape should be good enough. And if I'm watching the box I don't even need the tape. I think the position Eric is referring to maybe the marketing director?
clanger
Par Poster

Postby magic on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 am

I honestly don't know what the big deal. I have seen the preliminary list of people up for election and most positions only have one person even running. How can there possibly be any sort of tampering when you have ONE individual running for a position? Maybe there were some problems with last years election. I was not involved and have no idea. The simple fact is that there aren't many people willing to volunteer their time to improve this sport in our area. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is. Personally I have removed my name from a board position because life has gotten in the way of disc golf. I will continue to be course captain at QR and continue attending board meetings. You may not agree with all the decisions made by the board...I don't always either. You should be thankful though for the group of individuals willing to sacrifice their personal time to try and make things better for EVERYONE.

I will point out that there have been people on this board who have expressed a desire to be more involved, but seem to get ignored for whatever reason. That should certainly change.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

Speaking of running for a position....

Eventually, we need a separate "Topic" under announcements for WHO is
running for WHAT. As candidates are added, we can update the list up to elections.

That being said.

I hereby request to be added to the ballot.
I am running as part of the "independent" platform and consider myself far left of
the far right of the liberal and conservative center line.

Seriously. I am running for a RCF Board position.

Bottom line is, I plan on helping in many ways to make Disc Golf better in the St. Louis
Metro area. I have watched the club operate over the last 8 or 9 years. I have paid
particular attention the last three years or so because I have always had an interest
in being on the board and helping make the RCF a better Disc Golf Club.

I started out volunteering to put in concrete tees at JB and Endicott. When the St.
Louis Open started in 2007, I decided to volunteer to be a pool TD as well as help
organize and run the event (instead of playing).

For three years running, I have done the same thing during every one of the St. Louis
Open tourneys. I volunteer to be a Pool TD as well as help organize and run the event.
This past year, I was Pool TD of the Advanced players. I also volunteered to track
and upload scores during the tourney to the PDGA website.

In addition to the St. Louis Open, this next year, I hope to run two or three events
by the RCF.

As far as being on the RCF Board, if elected, I hope to bring a fresh face to the
operations in the club. To be honest, I have never done anything like this. But
the point is, I am willing to learn and willing to help make the club better and
operate better.

Lately, I have stepped up to help with the St. Louis Disc Golf DISCussion board.
I have also started a huge project in measuring all the St. Louis Metro areas
disc golf courses. This will hopefully lead to making better maps of these same
courses. (I have already provided detailed maps of the St. Louis area for use in
our program for the St. Louis Open, as well as detailed directions from course to
course.)

Thanks, and we appreciate your support.
Dan Doke
Last edited by gottagothrow on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby discdork on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:49 am

gottagothrow what position are you running for?
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby raymandisc on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 am

Dan, great to see you step up and run for office. Can an officer reply to the open meeting suggestion for potential members who are interested in coming to a meeting who are curious about running for an officer position? Many members have no idea what there are getting into and would love the oportunity to find out. It's hard to volunteer for something you don't know what you are expected to do. Thanks...

Maybe at the meeting the ballot process can be finalized. I'm guessing this is already in place.

See you... :mrgreen:
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion