2009 Membership Drive

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

2009 Membership Drive

Postby irwinje on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:59 pm

The River City Flyers are having another membership drive this April 19th in an attempt to raise awareness of our club and disc golf on the local level. At least one person will be at each course to hand out literature on disc golf/ the club in addition to signing people up for the club.
During the membership drive, joining members can sign up for a discounted price of only $15 that day only. For their membership fee, they receive
- 2009 RCF Bag Tag
- 2009 Club Stamped Putter
- 30th Anniversary of St.L Disc Golf Mini
in addition to the benefits that all our members enjoy
- Participation in RCF events
- RCF Ace Pool Eligibility
- Discounted Merchandise
- Etc.
Here is a list of courses and people that have already volunteered to work. If you would like to volunteer to work a course, or even help at a course for a few hours this is the place to post, or you can contact me directly. Last year, we signed up 60 new members in 1 day. Lets see if we can get 100 this year!
Course List
West City Park:
Jokerst Park:
Jefferson Barracks: Mark Dudenhoeffer
Watson Trails: Chris Kinsella
Unger Park: Jeff Irwin
Kircher Park:
Schroeder Park:
Bluebird Park: Steve Kleiber
Endicott: Chris Lang
Creve Coeur: Ben Hart
White Birch: Bob Waidman
Sioux Passage: Francis Albanese
Quail Ridge: Andy Majesky
El Shaddia Ranch: Bruce C. (Not sure we can be there on a Sunday)
Rock Spring:
Roxanna
Woodland Park:
We'll also be rewarding the member that signs up the most new members on that day. Thanks to everyone that wants to volunteer and help us out.
Last edited by irwinje on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Re: 2009 Membership Drive

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:46 pm

I will take care of Jokerst, most likely. I'll post a flyer @ West City letting people know to come over to Jokerst for the "Drive".

On a side note,
I signed up several people last year that only received their putter or bag tag but not both. I was also told to tell everyone they would get a free Gateway disc in the mail. You don't know how many times, people that I signed up, asked me, "Hey, where's my free Gateway disc?" Or, "When am I gettin' that disc?" I just told them I don't know and I wasn't in charge of mailing everything out. From the way it sounds, I don't think anyone received that "free" disc or their tag/putter if they didn't get it that day.

I remember when I first joined back in '07, the same thing happened to me except I was given a bag tag, then 5-6 months later I gotta putter in the mail. Hopefully this year we'll be more prepared. I'd like to see everyone have an equal amount of membership kits instead of a few here and a few more there.

I said it last year also, it's much easier to get someone to sign up when you have everything they need right in front of you, instead of, "You'll get it in the mail." I know there was a few people that were disappointed last year and chose not to come to our events because of they way the memberships were handled. I was/am still trying to get those same people to reconsider this year and hopefully renew(the new tags might make them reconsider!)

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there. To me, it's not a big deal they didn't get their free disc or whatever. It's the fact that we(RCF) want members, so why would we do anything less than the most we could do to satisfy these newcomers? First impressions last a lifetime, right?

So, yeah, put me down for Jokerst/West City...
Last edited by STARFIRE on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:26 pm

i'll lend a hand at white birch/sioux passage/endicott if anyone so desires.

i have no idea how this all operates, but i'll help if it's needed.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Almost all of these people, I only see once/twice a year....I will get these people to sign up again and hopefully, this time, they'll decide to come out to our events.

2009 is going to be a good year for St. Louis Disc Golf!! I hope we can get an additional 18 in at Unger, to have a 36 Hole course in our area would be phenomenal!
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby davegwave on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Jeff,

The Jokerst Park Spring Disc Golf League is starting up March 19, 2009. Sign up from 4:30pm - 5:00.

We have several new players that have voiced their interest in the league and are not RCF members. Is anyone available to come down during sign up to explain the benefits of joining RCF and to sign up anyone interested?

Dave Garver

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?"
Dave
Tag #256

Church of the flying disc... INNOVA's WITNESS
davegwave
Bogey Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Dave,
I unfortunately cannot make it down there that early on a Thursday. I get off work at 4:30 and work out closer to Endicott. However, I would be happy to supply you, or another representative from Festus, with discs and tags for interested parties.

Benefits of Joining the RCF
- 2009 RCF bag tag to encourage friendly competition
- 2009 Club Stamped Putter
- Eligibility for RCF Ace Pool at club sponsored events
- Discounted merchandise from GDS, DGA, Discraft & Innova
- Ability to vote for elected RCF officials
- Being part of something and supporting disc golf as a sport. The more local supporters we can get the more courses will show up for all of us to play.
Annual Membership Fee: $20
Where does that money go?
The River City Flyers board of directors, which is made up of 6 course captains and 5 elected/appointed officials allocates money raised through membership fees and tournament proceeds to the following...
- Club merchandise from the 4 sponsors listed above including discs, apparel, towels, DVDs, etc
- Installation new courses, like Unger Park
- Course maintenance at club sponsored courses
- Additional course amenities such as benches, trees, signs, concrete tee pads, kiosks, new baskets, chains, etc
- Ring of Fire prizes, CTP's, Basket give away's, AM division prizes (vouchers)
- Trophy Plaques for each division at tournaments
- The discs and tags distributed for membership dues
- Administrative fees such as tournament flyers, membership applications, scorecards,

Naturally, I'll be at the C-Tiers this weekend so if you are planning on playing, I could make sure to bring supplies to the event for you.
Jeff
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Good call Jeff
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:34 pm

davegwave wrote:Jeff,

The Jokerst Park Spring Disc Golf League is starting up March 19, 2009. Sign up from 4:30pm - 5:00.

We have several new players that have voiced their interest in the league and are not RCF members. Is anyone available to come down during sign up to explain the benefits of joining RCF and to sign up anyone interested?

Dave Garver

irwinje wrote:Dave,
I unfortunately cannot make it down there that early on a Thursday. However, I would be happy to supply you, or another representative from Festus, with discs and tags for interested parties.

Naturally, I'll be at the C-Tiers this weekend so if you are planning on playing, I could make sure to bring supplies to the event for you.
Jeff

I'll be at the C-Tiers as well, perhaps I could hand them off to Dave G. myself? If that's okay.

How many membership kits would you need Dave?
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:03 am

Disc golf isn't free but it is very affordable @ $20 a year. The $20 fee is likely to increase but with more people as members, the upward price pressure will not be as great. Supporting your club is how you build new courses and improve the ones already in place. Being a member shows the Parks Department (whose land is the most used for this game) that we are an organized, viable and growing voice to be considered when making decisions regarding recreation, improvements or allocations for more green space. Decisions involving 'How do we serve the greatest number of people', are based on growth trends and obviously lots of (vocal) people. As the RCF grows in number, your voice is amplified to the Parks Dept.
By the way, we couldn't get into Carondelet or Forest Park partially because they didn't think very many people played this game. Kennedy Forest in Forest Park would be a prime location for DG.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby clanger on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 am

With our growing numbers and a new Unger course it might be time for another sales pitch to Forest Park & Corondelet. Maybe this should be done on a yearly basis? Maybe some sort of massive Email presentation to all the other municipalities. Again, maybe on a yearly basis? Finding the best time of the year for this could be crucial. Sometimes the timing is everything. JAB & I have picked up so many widow contracts over the years simply by walking through the door or making a call at the right time. I think a course in either one of these city parks could potentially double our membership in a year.
clanger
Par Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion