Prop P - STL County Parks

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Prop P - STL County Parks

Postby dtwest57 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57 am

Title: STL County Parks and Prop P

Hello RCF / STL Disc Golf Club Members,

Through the life of the club, we have worked together with the STL County Parks department in order to get good quality disc golf courses installed in St. Louis County. We have worked with Tom Ott during these years as he heads up the Parks department. Tom has viewed this as a partnership and we interact regularly to reserve courses for tournaments and to work on the courses and then get free rentals due to the materials and finished products of our work. Another partnering effort from STL County Parks is they have offered for us to use additional land at Sioux Passage Park in order to put in an additional 18 holes and to finally have a course in STL with 36 holes!

As you know, the STL County Parks had money issues last year and had to scale back their maintenance services and one of the places that were affected was the Creve Coeur disc golf course as it was not mowed. They did mow it in early October and we presently have it open as a winter course.

Tom would like our club to help get Prop P passed so the STL County Parks has more operating money. I asked if the passage would lead to the Creve Coeur disc golf course getting mowed? Tom has personally told me that if we get behind the passage and it gets passed, they will mow the Creve Coeur disc golf course this summer. This is a unique request from the Parks department and I would like us to help.

For more info on Prop P:

The web site for Prop P is: http://www.YesOnPropP.com

Some people have said things like all of the money will just go to the arch grounds or the money will just go to handicap accessibility – or no money will go to the STL County Parks. I do not believe this is true as one of the FAQ’s on the website addresses it:

Does any of this money go to local parks in St. Louis County (outside the city of St. Louis)?

Yes. St. Louis County will receive approximately $6 million annually to improve county parks and $ 4 million will be awarded as grants to improve local parks in the county.

I am in favor of it passing. I hope other members of our disc golf community are also in favor of it.

First of all, please exercise your right to vote. Secondly, if you agree this will help the sport of disc golf in the STL area, please vote for Prop P.

Thanks,

Dave West
RCF President
dtwest57
Bogey Poster

Re: Prop P - STL County Parks

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

"OFFICIAL BALLOT LANGAUGE - SAFE AND ACCESSIBLE ARCH AND PUBLIC PARKS INITIATIVE PROPOSITION P:

For the purpose of increasing safety, security, and public accessibility for the Gateway Arch grounds and local, county, and regional parks and trails for families and disabled and elderly visitors, and for providing expanded activities and improvements of such areas, shall St. Louis County join such other of St. Charles County and the City of St. Louis to impose a three sixteenths (3/16) of one cent sales tax in addition to the existing one-tenth (1/10) of one cent sales tax applied to such purposes, with sixty percent of the revenues derived from the added tax allocated to the Metropolitan Park and Recreation District for Gateway Arch grounds and other regional park and trail improvements, and the remaining forty percent allocated to St. Louis County for local and county park improvements as authorized by the County Council of St. Louis County, with such tax not to include the sale of food and prescription drugs and to be subject to an independent annual public audit? "
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby oldmandowntheroad on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 am

Reminded in case this slipped up on anyone else like it did me ... today is the day to vote for Prop P
oldmandowntheroad
Bogey Poster

Postby bean928 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am

It passed!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am

Excellent.
Now we need for this quote from Dave West to be followed through:
"Tom (Ott)would like our club to help get Prop P passed so the STL County Parks has more operating money. I asked if the passage would lead to the Creve Coeur disc golf course getting mowed? Tom (Ott) has personally told me that if we get behind the passage and it gets passed, they will mow the Creve Coeur disc golf course this summer."
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 pm

A note from our club President, Dave West:

Tom Ott called and told me that due to our club's support and efforts on Prop P, they will be mowing the Creve Coeur disc golf course this summer. Tom talked with Jim Gerkin who handles operations, and they will mow the fairways every 2-3 weeks, and the whole course about once per month! He was thankful for our efforts in getting the word out amongst the disc golfers to vote and is happy we have this partnership. He also inquired about our progress putting in more holes at Sioux Passage and is fully supportive of that expansion effort. We also discussed the JB water park moving away from the disc golf course and no longer having an impact. It was a good discussion and all good news!!

Dave West
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby dtwest57 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for getting out and voting!!

- Dave West
dtwest57
Bogey Poster

Postby over on Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm

I was at Creve Coeur yesterday & it was not mowed & signs were out saying will be closed for season starting May 13th. Just wanted to pass word along.
over
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm

That is sad news indeed.
The sign has actually been there for over a year now and I thought someone was supposed to remove it.
I will pass the news along to those who need to know.
Thanks for letting us know.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby DiscGolfFreak on Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

What season?
PDGA #59749
DiscGolfFreak
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion