Bridgeton Course Update Thread

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: New Bridgeton course

Postby mkane on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 am

The key to developing this course is working in the best interest of the City to create programs that the city can use to involve the community.

This course is a gem when you look at the acreage and the possibility of the adjacent land help by the airport authority.

My plan would include the distribution of existing baskets to this park while reinforcing our existing parks with new baskets.

Phase 1: We are currently moving forward with this plan; we currently have 27 holes laid out at this location with 3 separate pin locations. Phase 1 is where we evaluate the existing holes, note the areas where there are great pin locations, holes, and conversely identify the areas where the opposite occurs. We plan to leave the current configuration for the upcoming fundraiser on March 6. Currently we have raised 45 dollars with temp basket tourneys held on weekends.

Phase 2: After March 6 we will reverse the configuration still following the contour of the streets, evaluate, and mark the great locations, holes and begin to look for key tee pad areas. This will continue until April, when we will most probably hold another fundraiser that will highlight this design. For anyone interested in getting involved, please contact Tim Finan, who has taken on the responsibility and has stepped up to volunteer and lead this effort.

Phase 3: After Phase 2, we should have a good idea on how to construct this course, which will most probably utilize ideas from Phase 1 and 2. In addition, we will most probably flip the final design 90 degrees. Utilizing the roads more creatively to create a championship caliber course, a driving range and a pitch and putt practice area. It is my hope that will endear us to not only the city of Bridgeton, but also to the Airport Authority who holds land that we hope to be able to utilize in the future.

At this time, however, we need to all be on the same page, I just want to let the members know where I am coming from and what I think we can accomplish in the next 6-8 months.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 pm

This conversation started on another thread, but why not mention the idea here..........how about pulling the baskets from Unger & using them here at Carrollton Park?? Has that been given any consideration? I mean, let's face it, unfortunately Unger just didn't work out........ :idea:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Anything is possible Jeff, yes it is on the table.
As is pulling Creve and replacing with new Discatchers
As is seeing if we can buy the Waidman Collection
As is pulling JB and replacing wth new Mach's
We are being deliberate right now, putting everything on the table and seeing which path is the best way, I mean we have to be careful don't want to have to be unable to handle if we end up super lucky and St. Charles, Forest Park and Bridgeton all happen at once. That would be a problem I would love to have though.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:56 am

mkane wrote:Anything is possible Jeff, yes it is on the table.
As is pulling Creve and replacing with new Discatchers
As is seeing if we can buy the Waidman Collection
As is pulling JB and replacing wth new Mach's
We are being deliberate right now, putting everything on the table and seeing which path is the best way, I mean we have to be careful don't want to have to be unable to handle if we end up super lucky and St. Charles, Forest Park and Bridgeton all happen at once. That would be a problem I would love to have though.

Well, some of the things you mentioned here don't seem to make much sense (such as-- why mess with CC or JB??), while some of it makes plenty sense. I totally understand not doing anything in haste, making sure everything is in place, etc., etc. BUT, the very real possibility you just mentioned of having 2 or 3 new courses to furnish with baskets just makes the case of using the existing ones we have at a park (Unger), which is flooded most of the time & sees I think very little use all the stronger, don't you think??
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Jeff "Clap for the Wolfman" we are looking at every possible angle to get the biggest bang for the buck. Removing a disc golf course is not on the table, but replacing the baskets could very well happen. With volunteers I hope to be able to make Unger at least a 9 to 12 hole course. I hope you understand that there are still members that do want to keep it. But those players will need to step up if they want to keep it.

Now back to Bridgeton, you gotta come out and see this Wulfman:
This Sunday Feb 27, we will be at the Bridgeton Course,

9AM for the baskets and a 10am players meeting 10:15ish tee off.
Please bring a temp basket and lets fill up the 27 holes again.

We are reaching the end of Phase 1 which will culminate with the Carrollton Super Nooner
next weekend March 6. Meaning only 2 rounds left with this initial 27 hole configuration, so get out and practice this weekend and be ready for the Nooner next week.

Phase 2 will begin March 7.

One step closer to Mecca.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Throw&Hope on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm

From the "for what it's worth" category...

I liked the courses. I know that some folks don't think the flow is perfect, but it seemed to work for me. When the courses get put in, I'll be playing them regularly.

Some things I liked:
- Small course #2 - I liked the "hallway" T-shot.
- Small course #5 (I think), with the basket halfway up the steep hill. Pretty cool.
- Big course #1 - I really liked the downhill slight anhyzer
- Big course #3 - just a mean hole. I liked it.
- Nice use of the bamboo on the big course, #5 or #6??? Great back drop for the basket
- Plenty of anhyzer holes (for us RHBHer's, that is)
- #12 or #13 (???) with the hole on top of the narrow berm with the big drop off behind it. Very nice.
- #18 - nice finish. I almost had it.

Some things I wasn't so keen on:
- Small course #2,3,4 - too much overlap/compactness. I was more worried about getting dinged by a disc on #3 (by #4 throwers) when throwing my approach shots than shooting, and possibly hitting #3 players when I was driving #2.
- Too many short holes in a row on the big course- i.e., #2,3,4,5,6
- I personally would prefer a shorter hole to start with. Save what is #1 for after warming up on 2 or 3 shorter holes

And a couple of questions-
- Will the roads stay? Or will they be demolished eventually?
- The "incident" of the disc going out onto the highway. Sounds like a potentially serious problem. Any ideas on what to do about that?

Finally- take my comments as an interested DGer, not an advanced player.

And thanks for the chance to play on the courses as "embryos" and to get a chance to influence the development!
Throw&Hope
Bogey Poster

Postby mkane on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback on Carrollton Park, shedding light on your questions. The club is going to sign a 24-month lease with the city of Bridgeton. The master plan of the park is being developed in concert with the SCORP(Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan); the statewide study documenting the current activities occurring in the parks, is a 5 year plan. Both the Parks Master Plan and the SCORP coincide with each other to help determine funding.
Disc Golf now is becoming more mainstream and legitimate; it is now a common curriculum in grade schools, high schools, and even college. It is also becoming a club sport and competitive sport in these schools. When considering disc golf in education, institutions alone can install a course for a fraction of the cost of a basketball court or tennis court.
Right now one of the sports with the strongest growth is disc golf; however, disc golf has not yet a “line item” on the SCORP hence public funding is rarely available. In this next 24 months our club is going to make every effort to insure our sport will become a line item on the SCORP, and very possibly free up funds and grants for cash strapped municipalities.

In the meantime, for the next 24 months the course will evolve but will remain within the parameters of the streets. The configuration of the course will be designed so a player could play each nine, start, and end at any hole play nine and move on to the next nine. For tournament play the configuration will be a 27 hole course and it is my hope that 1 and 27 will be much closer than what happened at the Super Nooner.

In Closing, the club plans to interact with the city to create educational programs to involve children, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, handicapped and anyone who has interest in disc golf. These programs with the city will also be “Phase Like” starting with a putting seminar, midrange seminar, driving seminar and then an actual tournament for participants to experience what we do on a regular basis.

Get excited, Chris and the rest of our team have a lot planned for St. Louis as we give the gas companies the finger by adding many more local tourneys this spring and summer (Bluebird Series and PDGA Global B Tier). It is our hope that we can stay close to home, enjoy our courses, and develop both recreational and competitive disc golf interests harbored here in the St. Louis area.

Ask yourself. Are you a member yet? I think you should be.

Stay tuned ;>) Mark
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I was really hoping this course was going to be a fluid 27 holes. Seperating three 9ers sounds like wasted space somewhere.

What is this small course, big course talk? Shouldn't it be considered one, single course?

Will the baskets be numbered 1-27? I hope so...

Get the powdercoated baskets please!
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion