New River City Ratings Website/Database

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: New River City Ratings Website/Database

Postby fairweather_fan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Greg- I haven't checked in to the forums as regularly as I'd like recently, but I can't say how cool it is to see the RCF Ratings having grown legs and become a core benefit of club membership.

Really appreciate you carrying the torch and improving the system after we got it up and running!
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby gregwil2 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks Ted and everyone else for using them. I recently did a breakdown of all the rounds to try to get some stats of what would make sense for a divisional breakdown.
If you look at the attached picture, there are 1092 people that have played at least 1 rated round since the ratings started with an average rating of 8.53.
Then if you take people that have played at least 5 rounds, the number drops to 476, but the average goes up to 8.87. Which I think shows that the more you play, the better you get.
There is a pretty good trend going that the more rounds played, the less number of players that have played that many rounds, but the average goes up.
As for divisional breakdown, it is hard to determine what range of people that would show up for a tournament. Just for talking points, I added seven different options that may align the divisions up with a good balance of players in each division. I think I like Option 4 or 5 the best.
Attachments
Ratings Breakdown.jpg
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby Discinfool on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm

I like the rating system. Just want to know why the rating system was made up? Seems like it steers away from pdga sanctioned events. Like I said I feel the rating system that you guys have come up with is pretty spot on. But as a new resident of the St. Louis area that doesn't want to drive 2+ hours from home to get a sanctioned round in to get pdga points. I would love to get an invite to worlds but there just aren't enough sanctioned events in the St. Louis area to make this happen. Except for the couple of c tiers in March and then the open. There really isn't much as far as sanctioned events in the area.
Discinfool
Bogey Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm

The ratings system really came about after I went to a local event for the first time and I was asked "what division do you want to play?". Well I had no idea and picked intermediate because it seemed in the middle. Then when I got done the nerd in me wanted to figure out this whole "division" thing worked. So I collected what results I could into a spreadsheet then started tracking how people did in each division. Once I posted something about it I ran into Ted who had done a rating of his own scores....so I merged them into one (with some tweaks) to get the ratings system. Finally made it a database and website once the spreadsheet was too cumbersome.

As for the ratings being used instead of a PDGA tourney, I don't see that happening. It was really a way to make a lot of the normal local tourneys like the PDGA with some guidance for divisions. In the st Louis area there are about 8-10 PDGA events each year. For example this year was : Sioux Passage C-tier, Endicott C-tier, Viche B-tier, Rock Spring Memorial C-tier, Brisco Woods C-tier, St Louis open A-tier, Gateway Logan C-tier. Then still to come are : Gateway Will more C-tier, St Charles C-tier, and maybe some more. As for the World's ...don't you need something like 500 points to qualify? You'll get most of that just playing in the Open (example 14th in advanced got 510 points).
Last edited by gregwil2 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby Discinfool on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:02 am

Yes I know 500 points. But for someone like me who works shift work not every weekend is open to me. Also last year there were only 5 sanctioned events in the area. I moved from Toledo ohio and there are only 4 courses in the immidiate area and there was a tournament atleast once a month. I just feel that the tournament scene could be way bigger in this area. If you look at the pdga event page it seems like the kc area has atleast one tournament a month. And with the amount of players along with the amount of 18 hole courses in the area. The tournament scene could be bigger.

I love your rating system because it puts me in the adv division where I should be versus pdga which had me at an 888 rec division I would never!
Discinfool
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 am

Three problems with trying to squeeze in more tournaments in St. Louis.

First, look at the schedule of events - there is something scheduled almost every single weekend. There are four clubs in our local area vying for spots. We all try to work together to make sure that events don't overlap and cause one event to lose the player base they need to break even (and even then there are always a few accidental overlaps). There are also a lot of people who complain of tournament exhaustion in the area - and they're right, how on earth does anyone who plays tournaments find time to just have a weekend off and play casually with friends. Also, we get some club members who don't play tournaments who get a little upset that everywhere they go they're being turned away from a course because there's a tournament going on - and I totally get that.

Second, Running PDGA tournaments is expensive, especially A-Tier. Resources to pull one of these off are not always available and we need to be assured that the attendance will support and recoup the costs.

Third, tournaments, especially PDGA tournaments, take a lot of volunteers. There are really only about 7 or so people in the entire area who run all the tournaments... and they are all exhausted and burned out. And the folks who just lend a hand at the tournaments are burned out too. The bigger the event, the more volunteers are needed... and we simply don't have them. If more people step up just once or twice a year to say, "I'll put down my discs today and help run this." we would have everyone we need. Here's hoping.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am

Correct me if I am wrong.. But I think that every player that reaches the 500 point mark is sent out an invite to compete in world's. I'm assuming a certain amount of time is alloted for these players to register. Once that time has passed, assuming that the tournament doesn't fill, a sanctioned player can register for world's on a first come, first served basis, even without having reached 500 points.

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby Discinfool on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 am

The pdga cost for the c tier sanction I believe is only $50 not that expensive and if every club makes their undanctione event a c tier it may draw more people. But it doesn't sound as if anyone is really interested in doing this so maybe I will just have to start a sanctioned singles league. That rotates courses. Would never be on the same day seeing as my work schedule is all over the place. That will probably be the best way to get these rounds in.
Discinfool
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm

I am only one person, it is quite possible that other people are more interested. Even at that, it's not that I'm not interested, just pointing out my limited perspective on why there aren't more. I was just being me, "Captain Darkcloud". Sorry :(
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby ScottGalvin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 am

I am a member this year but dont appear as current on that site.
ScottGalvin
Bogey Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion