New River City Ratings Website/Database

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: New River City Ratings Website/Database

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I joined the club yesterday but have previous rounds on the database from 2012. Will I be assigned a rating for 2013 based on last year's rounds? Or do I have to play rounds in 2013 to get a rating?

I assume the rating rolls over from the previous year like the PDGA's system.

Adrian Pena
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am

Currently the database just averages all rounds (end of 2011, 2012, and 2013) that have been played. So you should get a rating if you've played any events in the past almost 2yrs. We discussed implementing a sliding scale similar to the PDGA where the last so many events or time counted more towards the ratings and eventually the old scores would fall off. But this hasn't been decided as to the scheme or implemented yet.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am

I updated the RCF Member status from the latest posted from Chris K. The ratings are also updated from the Endicott C-Tier rounds and a new Top 100 generated.
Please let me know if you see any errors, think of any improvements, etc, etc
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm

The ratings and top 100 were updated with the Sioux Passage C-Tier, The Crusade, and the Triple Crown
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm

I've updated the ratings with the Rock Spring Memorial C-Tier, St Louis North Pro/Am C-Tier, St Louis South Pro/Am C-Tier, and Lindenwood Open.

Since the ratings system has been out for about 2 years now, there have been a lot of events, about 50 actually. There are a lot of people that have racked up many rated rounds. Chris Gore is currently holding the top number of rated rounds with 59. Since the player ratings current just an average, it makes it very hard to move your rating either up or down. Therefor it's not a good representation of how a person is actually playing lately.

The PDGA uses the last 8 rounds of data (as far back as 24 months) or it will select all your rounds if less than 8. They do some extra stuff where 2.5 standard deviations or more than 100 points below your average are dropped and the most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation....but that's a little complicated and frankly, I think it will be easier to just average the last 10 rounds.

So the next update to the ratings will average your last 10 rounds, and if you have less than 10, it will average what you have (as long as you have at least 3 rounds). Hopefully this will show a little more reality in how a person is doing.

If anyone has a better idea or an issue with this approach, please respond back to this thread.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby Genn on Fri May 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I think that's a great idea!
Genn
Bogey Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm

I created the Last 10 Rated Rounds Rating and added it to each persons profile. If you want to see yours and how it would be different from just an average, go to http://ratings.blazinglite.com/search.php and Search for your name and click on your player ID. Then click on the Player Details and it will list the All Ratings Averaged and Last 10 Rounds Averaged.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

The ratings have been updated with all events up through the St Louis Open.

All rankings have been updated to now include ratings from the last 10 rounds and not averaging all the ratings. This will hopefully help show a persons actual skill recently. I have kept the all rated rounds average retained just to see how it is different from the last 10 rating. Everyone can be found under Reports dropdown for "All Ranked With Average" or in your player detail page.

There was some shake-up in the Top 100 list, go check it out.

And as always, if you see any issues, have any ideas for improvements, or anything else, please let me know.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby Genn on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Has anyone come up with a standard divisional breakdown with the ratings? Andy has been making great use of the RCR system, but we never know what the divisonal breakdown is beforehand.
Genn
Bogey Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 pm

For the Turkey Toss the ratings were used to split divisions were as follows:
9.80 and up - *Recommend* Open Division
9.25 and up - Advanced Division
8.75 - 9.24 - Intermediate Division
8.74 and below - Recreational Division

Anyone was allowed to play up a division if they wanted, but most played their rating.

I think we're still trying to work out the exact breakdown for each division, but based off the results from the Turkey Toss the above worked out pretty well.
I think Andy and the St Charles Folks like to use the ratings to really rank everyone and then break out the divisions equally. So there are a couple different approaches to take.

Take a look the the Turkey Toss breakdown to see some more details on how everyone's ranking put them in the overall rank. It wasn't perfect, but liked that no one from a lower division would have won the upper division. You'll never please everyone or make it completely fair but it would be nice to get it close. I'm always open to any suggestions and take them under advisement.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion