Unger Upgrades

(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

Unger Upgrades

Postby WELLdaMAN20 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 pm

I was just appointed Co Captain of Unger along with Brad Fortman. I am very excited to start working on it. I have several great ideas to make Unger a championship course. I would like to hear any ideas that people want to see changed about the course and I will be putting time into the course just like its another job starting with making better paths and directions around the course, stump removal in fairways and paths so nobody breaks their feet, color coded 4 by 4's in the fairways on 10/18 incase somebody throws into the grass when it gets too tall to help people find their discs faster and more frequently. Trimming up trees but not making more routes or making the course easier by any means. Just a facelift while keeping it challenging.

Matt Wellman
(314) 757-1942

Call with ideas, comments and concerns
WELLdaMAN20
Bogey Poster

Re: Unger Upgrades

Postby REDARMY on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 pm

haven't been out there in a while, but if there's still no info kiosk, i'd start there.

trash cans and benches if those haven't been added yet either.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Awesome!! I'm glad someone's out there. I wish I lived closer so I could help more often.

I had quite a few ideas for this course from the first time I played it....

-Pick up flood debris all around the course(branches, logs, trash, etc)

-Put some type of markers in the ground at the tees and find definite tee areas(11's tee was pushed forward a lil' bit and I like that change) So when we get our permanent tee pads we'll already have the "for sure"
tees marked. I've seen ten's tee box at two or three different spots, I like it from the concrete but it was originally off to the right a lil' bit in the grass.

-Trim the bushes/weeds around 12's pad and clear a better path from 12 to 13.

-Level tee area on 13

-14's whole fairway could use a facelift. That and 17, I believe, are the worst. Trim bushes located along the right side of the fairway at the edge of the tree line. Clear area around the basket a little. It's very dense with trees in there. If you end up on the left side of the basket("hill" placement), good luck gettin' an open putt at it. That hole is hard enough without the tuff putt at the end of the monster fairway that's sloped towards a lake, IMO.

-17, I love this hole, one of my favorites on the course. There is currently no gap going through the trees off the tee. Pretty much forces a hyzer route. This hole would be so much better if you could actually get through somewhere in the middle, too many trees on both sides of the drainage ditch. I like the original idea of using the concreted ditch area as out of bounds, just not in the hole's current state. If we could make a gap in the trees in that area and call the ditch out of bounds, it would add a lot. Then you could still go hyzer or try and get through the gap and over the OB. That would be beautiful.

-Clear stumps on all tees

-Possibly have the Parks Department cut horizontal lines going through 10 and 18's fairway, making it easier to locate errant shots. If they cut 4 strips at different points down the fairway, you could say, "It went in at the first line or after the third line" etc. That would help tremendously and speed play dramatically for those who don't throw so good that day. I've personally spent several hours, in total, in that tall grass looking for discs that I eventually found. If there had been a visual aid, it wouldn't have taken so long. It slows down tournament play too much, especially when two or more people go in there at the same time.

Other than that, get concrete tees eventually with tee signs. And some type of information board(there's already one over by 16-17, that probably doesn't get used anymore. We should get the Parks approval to remove and relocate that to the beginning of the course. We could have tournament/club info and a course map posted there. Also a scorecard and box for this course would be awesome!

Good job welldaman
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby WELLdaMAN20 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:28 pm

As soon as I get my key next week, I will be putting 13 and 14 in their original locations down by the water.

WELLdaMAN20
WELLdaMAN20
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 pm

IMHO, I think 14's basket is perfectly placed up top. Makes the hole much harder and challenging. It could almost be called a par 5. Very cool. Hole 13, on the other hand, needs a lot of work. Either clear the surrounding area out a bit, or never put it in that placement again. Placing your drive 40 feet away and not having any chance of deuce kind of sucks. Just a thought...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby WELLdaMAN20 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 pm

I spent 4 hours by myself working on Tuesday and got a bit accomplished. The baskets are down by the water on 13 and 14 for the winter. I cleared out a wide path going from 12 to 13 because there wasnt much of anything to walk through. I also cleared the paths out foing from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

I also got a lot of help from Ron, Vince and Mike today. We all put in 2 hours this afternoon taking out over 100 stumps just on the first hole alone and some stray branches on the front 9 but the course is looking great. The green is cleared out on 1 and soon to be expanded on 2 and 4 this weekend.

Vince, Mike and myself will be working and playing at Unger all weekend if anybody is interested in working or playing this weekend. We will be making better paths and tee pads, clearing stumps and fairways, a path from the tee pad to the fairway on 12, clearing out the fairways on 13 and 14 and also stairs going from 14 to 15.

If anyone is interested in playing or working or both,

Call me at (314)757 1942
Matt Wellman
WELLdaMAN20
Bogey Poster

Postby forehand on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm

WELLdaMAN20 wrote:As soon as I get my key next week, I will be putting 13 and 14 in their original locations down by the water.

WELLdaMAN20

Water is too high right now
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:07 pm

WELLdaMAN20 wrote:I spent 4 hours by myself working on Tuesday and got a bit accomplished. The baskets are down by the water on 13 and 14 for the winter. I cleared out a wide path going from 12 to 13 because there wasn't much of anything to walk through. I also cleared the paths out going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

I also got a lot of help from Ron, Vince and Mike today. We all put in 2 hours this afternoon taking out over 100 stumps just on the first hole alone and some stray branches on the front 9 but the course is looking great. The green is cleared out on 1 and soon to be expanded on 2 and 4 this weekend.

Vince, Mike and myself will be working and playing at Unger all weekend if anybody is interested in working or playing this weekend. We will be making better paths and tee pads, clearing stumps and fairways, a path from the tee pad to the fairway on 12, clearing out the fairways on 13 and 14 and also stairs going from 14 to 15.

If anyone is interested in playing or working or both,

Call me at (314)757 1942
Matt Wellman

i think i can pitch in/play a round sunday.

got a time to be there/tools to bring if i do make it?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby TallGuy85 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 am

As for the stairs between fourteen and fifteen, We discussed some railroad ties to cut up that hill, but i'm not sure how well they will work on the sandy incline. Any suggestions?

-Vince
TallGuy85

Postby WELLdaMAN20 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

I will be there at 10am and I will be there all day long. How about we have a round at noon on Sunday and then go from there. Also as far as the baskets on 13 and 14, I will move them according to the water levels and I just wanted to losen up the locks and find the original pin locations. The locks took me about 10 to 15 minutes to get the sand out and be able to turn them. Thanks for the concern though. The course is coming along and will continue to get even better in the upcoming years.

Thanks,

Matt Wellman
WELLdaMAN20
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Unger Park