(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

UNGER IS FLOODED

Postby dischead on Mon May 11, 2009 3:08 pm

THE GATES ARE LOCKED PARK CLOSED AS OF MONDAY AFTERNOON
dischead
Bogey Poster

Re: UNGER IS FLOODED

Postby discdoh on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 am

Someone at JB yesterday mentioned that Unger was back to playable conditions. I am sure that a lot of cleanup will be needed. If you are going to check it out, make an effort to clear some debris as you play your round. If everyone pitches in, we can have it looking nice in no time.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: UNGER IS PLAYABLE AND OPEN

Postby rondisc on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Talked to Brad earlier this morning. He was able to drive his truck through the front nine of the course.
The whole course is playable but the grass needs cut and 17 will have to be cleaned up along with flood debris.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 pm

I went to Unger this morning and it is soggy and probably wont dry out for months. Those pristine baskets sitting out there moslty unplayed should find their way to an older, popular course that is in need of updating. Not to add pins or create a new course somewhere else but to get people involved in keeping the older, more popular courses in top shape. Use the older baskets for "trial run" courses in potential new locations and possible course expansion projects. I also played Watson Trails this morning. That place took a beating and the club should either pull that course or step up and show Sunset Hills and other towns that Disc Golf players care about thier neighbors enough to help restore that park to another great "mini golf" course location. BTW, I crashed the chains on 1 at Unger but it didn't stick.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:30 am

Thank you for saying that, awesome baskets at a not so good course. It would take about a $1000 to move those, replace 18 baskets, minus the stolen basket and pull all sleeves at the more established course. Then like was already said use the older baskets... The other thing, we would have to replace the stolen baskets.

I 100% agree,

If you are a club member and you agree please respond.... This is a great conversation.

I am just a club member that like the rest of you.

Peace and thank you.
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 am

If the whole Bridgeton- Carrollton Park deal works out, how about pulling the baskets from Unger, & using them at Carrollton Park?? Would that even be a possibility........ :?: :?: :idea:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 am

jeffthrow6892 wrote:how about pulling the baskets from Unger, & using them at Carrollton Park??

I second the notion.
The RCF should abandon Unger and put their time, money & effort into Bridgeton
9 holes vs 36
flood plane vs dry/elevated ground
putter course vs championship
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm

This "subject" started almost 2 years ago and in that time i have played this course maybe 30 times. It was either soggy or overgrown with burrs. It was "fun" to play but hardly worth the effort. If this course is abandoned or the baskets get downgraded the decision to do so should be a unanimous one agreed on by all club members. I think the newer baskets from Unger would work best for upgrading an established "club favorite" course that has paved tee pads and one that gets the most exposure to help grow intrest in the sport across the region. Look at the courses within 20 miles of your home [there are 7 courses within 15 miles of my home] and think of what improvements you would like to see done to the existing courses before thinking about installing another course that could become a failed effort like Unger.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:24 am

jalbanese wrote:This "subject" started almost 2 years ago and in that time i have played this course maybe 30 times. It was either soggy or overgrown with burrs. It was "fun" to play but hardly worth the effort. If this course is abandoned or the baskets get downgraded the decision to do so should be a unanimous one agreed on by all club members. I think the newer baskets from Unger would work best for upgrading an established "club favorite" course that has paved tee pads and one that gets the most exposure to help grow intrest in the sport across the region. Look at the courses within 20 miles of your home [there are 7 courses within 15 miles of my home] and think of what improvements you would like to see done to the existing courses before thinking about installing another course that could become a failed effort like Unger.

Uhh........For starters, if you really think you could EVER get ALL the club members (currently over 330 people), to all agree unanimously on ANYTHING, then well, you've taken insanity to new levels, sir! Secondly, what "established" course in town needs all the baskets replaced??? None that I can think of. When I think of course improvements at my local courses (such as Sioux, Endicott, etc.), I certainly don't think, --gee, we need to swap out all the baskets & bring in different ones!! :roll: Sioux, for example, could use benches, not new baskets. Yes JB could probably use a basket replacement or two maybe, but not all of them. IF you're going to pull baskets from an existing course that didn't work out, using them at a NEW location is absolutely the way to go.......
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:13 am

I am insane...all I am really thinking is how much I enjoy playing disc golf and how can the local courses be made better for ALL players. If this just means tee pads in courses with none or trash cans or benches or whatever then efforts should be made to get those things done. You might be taking my comments too literally when it comes to my "suggestions". All i am saying is Unger is not the best place for "practically unplayed" baskets and that most of the courses need some sort of improvement. Thanks for voicing your opinion.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Next

Return to Unger Park