Course condition

Florissant, MO

Course condition

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 am

I read on dgcoursereview that, as of 7/18:

Prairie grass is VERY long, very easy to lose discs. Would not recommend a trip out here unless you are either deadly accurate or have a good spotter.

I was curious if this is still the case, as some friends and I of questionable skill were considering a trip to Sioux on Saturday, but we will not have enough time to be perpetually disc hunting.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Re: Course condition

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:59 pm

pjohnmeyer wrote:I read on dgcoursereview that, as of 7/18:

Prairie grass is VERY long, very easy to lose discs. Would not recommend a trip out here unless you are either deadly accurate or have a good spotter.

I was curious if this is still the case, as some friends and I of questionable skill were considering a trip to Sioux on Saturday, but we will not have enough time to be perpetually disc hunting.

Okay......I don't know WHO posted that on that site but, please do not let that scare you from going out & playing what is still probably our BEST course in the STL area, regardless of the tall prairie grass!! The tall stuff ONLY comes into play on really 3 or 4 holes (it is a definite factor on 16 & 18), but if you go in there, you can usually still find your plastic. The rest of the course the grass is cut REAL nice (I was there yesterday), the course looks terrific otherwise! So ignore that nonsense, alright? :mrgreen:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 pm

I agree with Jeff. It's easy to get into the prairie grass, but also even easier to avoid it. Just throw the opposite way. I'm not being a smartass, if you are afraid of going in there, just throw with more control, meaning shorter, to the opposite side of the fairway. The prairie grass is there because it is natural ,and they don't cut it. It's always long. Don't let that comment make you stay away. But, take plenty of water!
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks for the info; I thought the comment seemed a little extreme, but having only played the course once before I thought maybe I was remembering it incorrectly.

I look forward to playing it again on Saturday!
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Cool.......enjoy the course!! It is a mixture of pin placements right now, although I've heard talk of setting it up in shorter placements for the Match Play tourney on Sunday.........
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Andyli 78 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

Holy crap, been playing Sioux since May and this is the 1st time they cut the grass
Andyli 78
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 am

This is all related to the cuts to the parks budgets. Sioux Passage and the other county parks are under what they like to call "Zone Mowing" (which loosely means, "we call this part of the park zone A and this part zone B - zone A get's mowed 4 times a year and zone b gets mowed 2 times a year). In my experience with Sioux this year, they have done a pretty regular job of mowing a 20' wide path from tee to basket and left everything else to mowing once in a while. Prarie restoration areas aside, there have been a few trips where the regular grass, outside of the 20' line on the fairway, was about 2' high. Not a great place to look for a disc, but not too bad if you just pay attention and keep your eyes on the spot you saw it go down.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Andyli 78 wrote:Holy crap, been playing Sioux since May and this is the 1st time they cut the grass

Did they actually cut all of it, or just "fairways" again?? I haven't been out there in a while........been playing Bridgeton so much that I haven't been out to Sioux in a month or so. This stupid non-stop heatwave hasn't helped, either.......... :roll:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Andyli 78 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 am

After hole 2 the grass is cut all the way through. Every bit of grass. It was like I was playing on a new course. Loved it. Havent checked the back 9 yet. How is Bridgeton. I am going to play there on at. This heat is terible.
Andyli 78
Bogey Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Andyli 78 wrote:After hole 2 the grass is cut all the way through. Every bit of grass. It was like I was playing on a new course. Loved it. Havent checked the back 9 yet. How is Bridgeton. I am going to play there on at. This heat is terible.

Sounds good, hopefully they've cut the back nine as well.......I'll have to get out to Sioux soon. Bridgeton is well worth playing if you haven't yet, it is very challenging.....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Sioux Passage Park