Quail Ridge League

Wentzville, MO

Quail Ridge League

Postby magic on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:27 am

I am trying to set the dates for the Quail Ridge league and a problem has come up that I would like to get some input on.

I had assumed that the park hours would go back to 10PM starting in April. I have been informed that is not the case and the park will always be closing ½ hour after sunset. I have submitted the forms to stay late on the final nights when there is no way we would be able to get out of the park that quick. I don’t even know yet if that will be approved and if it’s not then I’m not sure we will even be able to run league there at least in its current format.

Already it will be tough as it is do get out of the park in time the first few weeks of spring league and the last few weeks of fall league. Assuming though that we can get permission to stay late on the final nights then we should be OK.

If we were to do three 8 week sessions then it would have to start on March 30th and end on September 7th. There would be no break weeks between sessions and there would not be any opportunities to make up weeks due to bad weather.

One option I had considered is going to 2 sessions from 3. They could stay at 8 weeks or could even go to 10 weeks. There could be a break between sessions and also make up weeks if needed due to weather.

Any suggestions?
magic
Ace Poster

Re: Quail Ridge League

Postby Jorge on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Well we obviously need to wait until we hear back from the parks department because if they let us stay past sunset, there is no problem.

If they won't, here's my 2 votes:

1. 2 leagues of 10 weeks each with time in between. Knowing our luck, if we do 3 leagues with nothing in between, there will be 4 thunderstorms during the first session and no makeup weeks will just piss people off for paying so much to only play 4 times, and you will then have to rethink the cali rule and how to break up into flights and listen to everyone complaining to you about ever cancelling a league for any reason.

2. Keep it at 3 weeks, but instead of having the last night of each 3 leagues on Tuesday, do it on a Saturday or Sunday. As long as everyone knows this going into the league, they have no reason to bitch about it when it comes around. It would be really fun to start at noon on a Saturday, get done, eat, and go play a fun round afterwards, and you would never have to worry about finishing that last round in the dark with over 100 people on the course. The only problem is reserving a pavilion in time, but if we don't, there are enough picnic tables and BBQ pits near hole 9 we can do it there or the 2 on the parking lot by the practice hole.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby gflap on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 am

Why can't the park stay open for disc golf league 1 night a week? I believe they keep the park open late once a week for horseshoe pitching.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I am going to try and get the park to stay open late for us every week, but have a feeling it won't happen. It is going to take some persuading to just get them to let us stay late for the final night, but don't think it will be a problem.

If we were to try and run three 8 week sessions the sunset for the first night would be 7:25 meaning we would have to be out of the park by 7:55. That could be pushing it for some guys that can't start playing until 6:00. The start time could be pushed forward to 5:30 for the first few weeks, but it can be difficult for guys that don't get off work until 5:00 to make it there in time.

For the three 8 week sessions I don't like not having a break week which can also be used for a make up week. I don't ever see 4 out of 8 weeks being cancelled, but you never know. Having 2 weeks cancelled is possible leaving only 6 weeks of scores. It does make the scoring more difficult, but I think we could manage. Some players may complain about paying $20 for only 6 weeks of golf, but I think a majority of league players have been around for a while now and would understand. And it's not like I would be pocketing any extra money if we didn't play a full 8 weeks. The amount paid out through CTP's and actual payout will be the same no matter if it is 4 weeks or 8 weeks. As long as it is communicated ahead of time that we have no choice in the matter it should keep the complaints to a minimum.

I like the idea of having the final night on a weekend, but wouldn't consider that unless the parks dept will never let us stay past sunset. It is something that I hadn't though of before and wil keep it in mind if necessary. As far as I know the parks dept is going to let us close the course again this year. I'm not sure how they would feel about doing that for 3 Saturdays although it would only be for 2 hours.
The shelters do cost more during weekends since you have to do a full day rental.

I haven't made up my mind and won't until I get more info from the parks dept, but my initial thoughts are to do two 10 week sessions with 3 drop weeks. It would only be 4 less weeks of golf and we could have 2 break weeks between the session giving us plenty of make up time. To me the 8 weeks seem to go by pretty quick, but I have a feeling 10 weeks may feel like it's dragging on.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby Jorge on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 pm

One good thing about doing 3 sessions with no breaks and having the last night on a weekend allows for a built in extra week. Lets say we start week 1 on March 30. Week 7 would be played on May 11th. Now normally week 8 would be the Tuesday afterwards on the 18th, but if we move it to the weekend, it would now be that next Saturday May 22nd, making Tuesday, May 18 an open day that could be used if needed.

The next league would then start the Tuesday after that final week, on May 25. This way we don't have to plan any extra weeks in between and we still get the opportunity to make up 1 week. The only down sides would be the week and a half between week 7 and 8 if there are no rainouts, and the next league starting 3 days after the last league ended, but I believe by putting in the one planned rainout day in and the final day being Saturday, that out weighs the downside.

If we do choose this, we would have to reserve the pavilion now for each of those weekends so they don't fill up.

I hope that wasn't confusing, but it makes a whole lot of sense to me. I'm ok with the 2 session idea too, but I would still like to see if we can do the last week on the weekend.

BTW - if we do 3 sessions, the fall league will not end in the fall this year - just something I like to bitch about.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby mkane on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Hopefully the Park will let the league stay late for one day a week, and the format can remain the same. I understand the budget cuts probably have alot to do with this. I can think of several cost saving ideas that involve cost cutting scenarios organizations have been making to cut costs such as delayed start times on Tuesday, so overtime is not an issue.
In the case that the parks cannot accomodate, we could just go to two 8 week sessions and fill the rest of weeks with a random double format for the weeks that nature won't allow enough time. I think that would be a good way to be able to play with alot more different people creating more options to find a league partner. Down side being you would have to start those rounds earlier.
Kudos Magic - Jorge for your proactive approach to this concern.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Magic runs a really good league.
Magic is a really good TD.
Magic is a really good Course Captain.

Well, actually he is awesome at all three.

Wish I could play his leagues and tournaments.

DD
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby Jorge on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 am

gottagothrow,

If I didn't know who you were, I would swear that Andy (magic) got on here and made a new name just to post good things about himself.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby emptv on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:18 am

Disc up Jorge,
Even though Andy has long arms, I have never seen him pat himself on the back. :lol:
A huge amount of us should save his arms though and all give him a big pat on the back for the GREAT job he consistently does.
THANX ANDY, on behalf of myself and THE LAKERS.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $199/$112
Sweeps= $5/$16
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Jorge, I've never thought about that before. Hmmmmmm, what should my new secret name be? I'll be sure to mention my many other good qualities not related to disc golf!!!

Dan, I know you can't make it out for league, but no excuses for not making it out for a tournament although the Ridge Runner Open is the only official RCF event I will be running. It should be a good one though.

Thanks Bruce. Hopefully we'll get to see you out there for league this year.
magic
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Quail Ridge Park