Please, stop putting tape on the baskets.

St. John, MO

Please, stop putting tape on the baskets.

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 am

It has recently been brought to the attention of the STLDGC board that a player at Endicott has taken it upon themselves to slap some orange reflective tape around the post on the baskets at Endicott.

This is NOT authorized. This is NOT welcome.

The St. Louis County parks dept. is opposed to colored baskets or anything that makes the baskets more visible than just galvanized steel. The parks dept. is also very adamant about any change or "improvement" to the course be pre-authorized through official channels. Heck, that holds true for EVERY SINGLE COURSE IN OUR AREA - St. Louis Co., St. Louis City, St. Charles, The cities of Hazelwood, Florissant, Sunset Hills, Manchester... any of them. That means, if you have an idea about something that can be done to improve any of the courses in the Greater St. Louis Area, contact the St. Louis Disc Golf Club's Board of Directors (the emails and phone numbers are all posted in the "Contact" portion of our home page: http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/contact/ We're a friendly lot, and we do take your requests seriously, I promise.

In the meantime, if you are or know the person who put the tape up at Endicott, it would be the right thing to do to arrange to get some Goo Gone and razor blades and go to Endicott to remove the tape as soon as possible.

As a perfect segue from this topic: "If you have time and energy to spend on improving disc golf in the St. Louis area, we need volunteers. Course improvements and maintenance, running tournaments, helping with tournaments, help with merchandise, help with the website... we need able and energetic people to coordinate with the board of directors to help us keep getting things done."

Thank you.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Please, stop putting tape on the baskets.

Postby Chris K on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Initially, I had a problem with this as well but it sure does help you see the baskets. Some other golfers took it on themselves to remove the tape thinking it was not Pdga approved.
So I just called the Park Supervisor at Endicott and asked if the Parks Department had a problem with the tape and he said they have no problem with it.
I then called Chuck Kennedy at Pdga and asked him if it was Pdga approved to have tape on the baskets. As long as it does not interfere with the preapproved design, it is ok. Specifically, it must not be higher than the the nubs.
So in the interest of seeing the baskets more easily, the tape is an improvement. I do agree that making these 'improvements' on your own is a bad idea and should be run past the Course Captain. Thank you Daniel, for posting this.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:08 pm

If the person responsible for putting tape on the baskets would call me, I would appreciate it; Chris K, 314-583-3340. I need more people who want to improve our courses and have the initiative to work alone. All improvements should/must be coordinated with the Course Captains. Thank you in advance.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:49 am

The only point upon which I disagree is that the bright tape is a distraction when putting. I, and many others, like to pick a link of chain and focus on that as our aim spot. With the bright stripe of tape, it keeps drawing my focus away from the link... it's a bit frustrating.

Afterall, after a person has played a course 2 or 3 times, they already know where the basket is.

But, that's just my opinion on the matter.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to Endicott Park