Anyone been to CC lately???

Maryland Heights, MO

Re: Anyone been to CC lately???

Postby irwinje on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm

dehaas wrote:I thought I vaguely remember something a while back about putting some Jr/rec/whatever you wanna call it tees out at CC. Did this ever happen, or is that part of the fundraising? I haven't been out there in quite some time, but I think having some shorter tees out there would draw more beginners or people who complain about the distance. I'd imagine you could change the look of a lot of the shots out there with shorter tees. With good placement you could force a certain line or shot off the tee, something that is kinda lost when your hole is 700ft long and wide open. I actually like going out there every so often just to cut loose. I think with a little bit of work, it could be a really nice course. Obviously nothing is gonna be as scenic as SP, in my opinion that's the best looking course I've played on. What's unfortunate is that people are gonna want to compare the two because of the distance, and that's not fair to CC.

Unfortunately the distance does keep some people away from CC, however, that is the most beginner friendly 18 hole course in StL. It is beginner friendly because unlike Unger and Endicott you can throw a terrible shot off the tee and still manage a par from there. I'd like to change that by adding some obstructions to a couple fairways and greens. We'll have to re-evaluate some of the planned projects since we've lost some trees and other obstructions. However, I don't see us istalling alternate tee pads.
If you're not shooting par at CC, you need to keep playing there. The best thing about CC is learning how to play in severe wind. By practicing that, your game will improve.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 pm

the two suggestions off the top of my head are re-sticking(?) or repainting the numbers on the baskets, and taping or somehow marking the direction to head to the next tee.

hole 10 is where i got turned around last time, shooting at 14, because i couldn't identify that 10's basket was actually 10's.

some stencils, a can of spraypaint, (colored?) duct tape and a sharpie would do wonders for course navigation.

if there's going to be any hands in the ground at the benefit/fundraiser deal, i'll volunteer to do marking while (if) i throw.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am

you wouldn't have to go as far as concrete for rec pads. just some colored blocks dug into the ground would do the trick. but yeah, if you can get through the initial frustration of playing in the wind, cc is definitely a course that will make you better as a beginner.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 pm

REDARMY wrote:...and taping or somehow marking the direction to head to the next tee.

Centralia's course has pieces of wood in the ground right next to the basket. They are about 4-5 inches long and cut in the shape of a triangle. They are also painted bright yellow. This would be the best idea and the most cost effective. You could make 18 of those quickly and for a low cost. A solid piece of 2 x 4 could cut all 18!!! Add a can of yellow paint and something to dig a very small hole with and that problem's fixed.

Another cool thing about that course is how there are seperate tee signs for the blue tees, makes it really easy finding the blues without searching for blocks in the ground.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby clanger on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:07 pm

OK, I've had this conversation with alot of long arms (350' plus) about CC and they just don't seem to get it.
Jeff is right in saying if you have a bad drive, most of the time you can make it up, however this really only applys to the 350 group. I've got plenty of rounds in at CC and sit at a personal best of 71(+2) I also max out at 300' on a good throw. Most of the time I'd say it's about 270. My point is I have to make everyone of my long throws count because I don't have the distance to make it up. So most of the time I have a bad drive at CC I'm a bogeying.

We soooo went the right way with Tpads and multiple pins but if there ever was a course that could use a shorter set of tees it would be CC. I'd like to see pads but would settle for blocks.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:14 pm

clanger wrote:OK, I've had this conversation with alot of long arms (350' plus) about CC and they just don't seem to get it.
Jeff is right in saying if you have a bad drive, most of the time you can make it up, however this really only applys to the 350 group. I've got plenty of rounds in at CC and sit at a personal best of 71(+2) I also max out at 300' on a good throw. Most of the time I'd say it's about 270. My point is I have to make everyone of my long throws count because I don't have the distance to make it up. So most of the time I have a bad drive at CC I'm a bogeying.

We soooo went the right way with Tpads and multiple pins but if there ever was a course that could use a shorter set of tees it would be CC. I'd like to see pads but would settle for blocks.

as long as they're anchored to something, that'd be great.

the blocks at bluebird arent anchored at all, so i'm sure they get kicked around/moved quite a bit.

maybe just dig down a few inches and set them in the ground?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Another nice thing about having multiple tees is that you can mix up holes. A few of us in collinsville will play a tag round where the winner of the hole gets to pick the tee for the upcoming hole. It changes things up a bit, and adds a bit of strategy if you're gunning for somebody's tag instead of playing the same layout all the time. Most people could probably care less, especially you guys across the river who have a ton more courses to play.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 pm

clanger wrote:We soooo went the right way with Tpads and multiple pins but if there ever was a course that could use a shorter set of tees it would be CC. I'd like to see pads but would settle for blocks.
We beat that horse dead a few years ago. The kind of public exposure point that CC is, it needs some user-friendly tees. Having a long and longer course at a place like Sioux is fine, but CC should be a course where a lot of new players pick up the sport based simply on the location. It isn't, at least not compared to Hazelwood and JB. I think a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that it is too damn long to be a good course for beginners.

I never understood the opposition to red tees at the time. If you don't like them, don't play them. If they are there, everybody can play the course. If they are not there, the course is restricted to big arms and guys like me that don't mind that they are 15 over. If we want to restrict players and keep the courses as our own personal playgrounds, I guess that's a way to go.

I don't mind CC. It's not great, but it has come a long way over the years. The new design and the work that is done out there now is a big improvement over what it was. But I still think CC is much too good of an exposure point for the kind of course it is. It needs red tees.
Last edited by BubbaKick on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby wachoutforthattree on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Red Army sorry about my previous post if it offended you.

Thank you to everyone who commented on course improvements. I will bring up those suggestions at the next club meeting.

I was out there on tuesday and more trees have been cut down. Many fairways are more open then they were before. Hopefully we can talk the parks department into planting more trees.

We discussed alternate tee pads the last couple years and it was voted down. The parks would not allow us to put in more wood markers to identify the short tees. Morgan, Joe, Simon and I did however put in blocks to mark short tees. Eric T. even went back and repainted them. However since they mow very infrequently out there the blocks get over growth and get covered. I will go back and attempt to make the blocks more visible. During CC weeklys we played from these spots about once a month, we had good turnouts on all of those weeks.

Creve Couer weeklys will start April 8th at 4:30pm and will continue on Wednesdays until Oct. Please come out and play, everyone is welcome.
wachoutforthattree
Par Poster

Postby clanger on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 pm

You could always put another sign on the current post showing the distances from the shorts pads. You would have to walk right by them. I would want them to match what is already there.
clanger
Par Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Creve Coeur County Park