12/26/11: Monthly Letter from the RCF President (Dec. 2011)
I hope everyone is enjoying a great holiday season. The club is growing again with many new members – we have over 330 signed up already for 2012. Listed below are items about the club you might find interesting:
* Take a look at our website – Ted Spies is doing an outstanding job of improving every tab on the website! I really like what he has done with the courses tab! I met Ted at the Club Championships for the first time. He had already offered to help improve the website, so I asked him to jump in and help. He has done a great job and I do hope you take a good look.
* We had a very good turnout of 70 disc golfers at the Holly Daze tournament at Sioux Passage park. Francis Albanese did a great job as TD. Steve Kleiber and Bob Waidmann helped with signups, Bob brought in the merchandise, and Corby O’Brien handled the food.
* We did a physical inventory of our club merchandise in early December. We had 950 discs in our inventory on December 4th. The Discraft discs had been purchased the most over the past 2 months, followed by Innova. Thanks to Steve Kleiber and Bob Waidmann for helping with this 5 hour effort! And, thanks to Bob for storing the merchandise for us!
* We are putting together the sanctioning form for the St. Louis Open this week. Our A-Tier tournament will be held May 5-6, 2012. As in the past, it will be a pro/am tournament.
* We are looking into helping to host a collegiate qualifier in the STL area. Steve Kleiber has been our focal person looking into this possibility. I sure wish we had college disc golf teams when I was in college!
* We are forming a committee to look into what it would take to host a World’s event in some future year. If you are interested, let me know.
* Bridgeton: Now that the tornado cleanup in Bridegton is slowing down, Bridgeton is ready to talk again. The board knows we need just one voice going to Bridgeton in the future or else we will not get a course put in. We are working with Dave McCormack to ensure we have one voice. The board has decided to make Dave McCormack the main contact with Bridgeton, and Tim Wiegard and I will accompany Dave (as RCF reps) when we meet with Bridgeton. We are also trying to arrange a discussion with Don Moellenbeck and Tim Finan to hear their thoughts about course design before making a final decision on course design. Dave McCormack will be the primary course designer, and the ultimate decision maker on the initial course design. We hope to get a course installed in Bridgeton in 2012!
* Greg Dohogne has done a great job of putting together the 2012 initial schedule. We should have the schedules posted at the courses soon. Greg also helps in all capacities of the club – when and wherever help is needed.
* Steve Hoog has helped us with minutes of meetings, and will also help us keep our meetings moving along. Steve brings us good experience and history with his time working with the Kansas City Disc Golf Club.
* See our schedule on our website. We have multiple ice bowl tournaments coming up in Janaury. Be charitable, and have fun!
* Our next meeting is Monday, January 9th, at 6pm. The location will be posted on the website.
Have a great holiday season,