11/24/11: Monthly Letter from the RCF President (Nov. 2011)
RCF Club Members,
Hello, this is the first of a monthly communication that I will send out to all members to help you stay connected and know what is happening with the club and our planned direction.
First, let’s review some of last year’s accomplishments (I was Treasurer last year so I will include how our money was collected and spent):
* Money coming in (Jan-Oct): $42,038. Big items: Tournament entry fees – $15,832; Disc Sales – $11,040; Memberships – $7,696; Hole Sponsorships – $2,650.
* Money going out (Jan-Oct): $49,017. Big items: Cost of New Discs – $23,742; Tournament costs – $13,552; Course Improvements – $8,259; Membership tags – $1,122.
* Disc costs explanation: Two reasons the cost of discs is much higher than disc sales – 1. disc sales does not include the vouchers used for discs, and 2. we increased our inventory of discs.
* Course Improvements breakdown: New baskets for JB – $6,867; The remaining $1,400 is for a variety of reimbursement items from various courses. Note that we have ‘earmarked’ funds for reimbursement by course – please contact us when you invest in the course!
* Membership – about 550 members. We are one of the largest disc golf clubs in the world. Due to our membership size, we are able to get good sponsors, and we are able to put a lot of money back into the parks. Thanks for all of your support, and please sign up again for 2012.
* Other accomplishments: Better tracking of our finances (see above); Some very good tournaments – STL Open, Club Championships; more disc inventory and tracking of what sells; hole sponsorship program.
* Hole Sponsorships: I talked with Dan Moss last week and he is making progress on the signs. The JB signs are on their second revision and will be the first to go in.
* Items we need to improve upon: Conflicting tournaments, Communications, Getting more volunteers and TD’s back, and allowing freedom to operate
* The Board: We had the first meeting of the new board in early November. Seven of us met – I wanted us to get to know each other early in the year and let all of us state what we would like to see accomplished in the next year. Our next meeting will be open to anyone – we will meet on December 5th.
* What we would like to accomplish: Improve communications to the membership; Get Bridgeton revived; Get volunteers back and active with club; Cooperation between the clubs in our area – good already but we should focus on regular communications and help between the clubs; Long term – can we host a World’s event in the STL metro area?
* STL County Parks: Thanks to those who attended the Parks meetings and showed support for keeping our parks open. The disc golfers made a good showing. Let’s keep supporting the parks!
Thanks to all of those who are volunteering to help the sport of disc golf and our club! I appreciate you and what you do!